Author Topic: Farnell DT12-5 manual - What does this mean?  (Read 536 times)

Offline GordonBTopic starter

Farnell DT12-5 manual - What does this mean?
« on: September 12, 2023, 06:52:58 am »
I recently picked up a reasonable condition Farnell DT12-5 oscilloscope for next to nothing and found that apart from the focus tending to drift it works fine. However, it's clear that it isn't calibrated. I've got a pdf copy of the manual and in the section on setting the calibration waveform it states; "Adjust P2 on trigger boards to obtain 1V as accurately as possible. Check that the frequency is 1kHz + or - 200Hz. If necessary S.O.T. R31." There is no explanation of what "S.O.T." means, can anyone interpret for me?

Many thanks
Gordon

Online wasedadoc

• Super Contributor
Re: Farnell DT12-5 manual - What does this mean?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2023, 07:38:58 am »
Select On  Test.

Means you try some fixed resistors until you find one that results in the measurement being in spec.

If both horizontal and vertical axes are out of calibration that could be caused by voltages on the CRT being too far off nominal.

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2023, 08:07:29 am »
Select On  Test.

Means you try some fixed resistors until you find one that results in the measurement being in spec.

If both horizontal and vertical axes are out of calibration that could be caused by voltages on the CRT being too far off nominal.

Many thanks for the quick reply, that now makes perfect sense. It's only the Y axis that seems to be out of calibration and I'm not too keen on messing around with the high voltages on the CRT. I'm borrowing another oscilloscope later today so I can check the calibration signal.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2023, 09:53:20 am »
Select On  Test.

Many thanks for the quick reply, that now makes perfect sense. It's only the Y axis that seems to be out of calibration and I'm not too keen on messing around with the high voltages on the CRT. I'm borrowing another oscilloscope later today so I can check the calibration signal.

I wouldn't bother with changing R31 to get 1kHz. The cal out signal's principal purpose is to enable twiddling of the compensation capacitor in 10Mohm "high" impedance *10 probes. The frequency doesn't need to be exact for that; even 10kHz or 100Hz would be OK.

Be aware that analogue scopes are only likely to have a 2% accuracy rating. That doesn't matter, since their purpose is to see the waveform shape; the transient response is the important metric.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline liaifat85

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2023, 10:10:38 am »
Here are also some info about this oscilloscope model. You can check these out.

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2023, 11:11:09 am »
Here are also some info about this oscilloscope model. You can check these out.

Can't see any links.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf