Author Topic: Faulty EEVBlog meter  (Read 5278 times)

Offline RussTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Re: Faulty EEVBlog meter
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2017, 01:34:59 am »
Not that he has any obligation to but the OP would perhaps have learned more by first posting a "Help me fix my meter" thread and then if all else failed send it back for a replacement, that way if it happens to be an inherent fault with these meters then other owners would also be better informed and know what to keep an eye out for.

Thanks. I didn’t think of that. My apologies. I am new to the group. That’s sage advice. I’ll play with the meter for a bit, before deciding whether to return it.

Thanks
Russ

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2017, 01:55:00 am »
I have just noticed the post where you indicated that the meter is now working again simply due to it being put back together, I would not be satisfied that this meter is now completely reliable or trustworthy until the initial fault is properly identified and addressed, I would not use test equipment that I did not have complete confidence in, no exceptions.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2017, 02:02:10 am »
I have just noticed the post where you indicated that the meter is now working again simply due to it being put back together, I would not be satisfied that this meter is now completely reliable or trustworthy until the initial fault is properly identified and addressed, I would not use test equipment that I did not have complete confidence in, no exceptions.

I was kind of thinking the same thing. You have to be confident with your tools. I sent Dave a PM.  I will wait for his response. I do like this meter. If need be, I will just exchange it for another one.

Thanks

Offline Biff383

• Regular Contributor
  • Oh Crap!!!
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2017, 04:21:55 pm »
  I had the same problem with mine. Tore it down to the display, and found that the springs for the leds may not be making full contact. I cleaned everything up and it seems to be rock solid. I think that you pulled the tpp 3 screws and that moved the board enough to reestablish contact. The only thing that I might be doubtfull of in the future is the flashing light feature. Thats kind of not that important if you don't depend on it.
  Dont depend on anything....always look and doublecheck if you life may be on the line.
  I put this meter up against my Fluke 83-iii and for the money, it's avery good deal.
  I've got 10 meters laying around here right now and at the moment, this one is my favorite.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2017, 06:01:07 pm »
  I had the same problem with mine. Tore it down to the display, and found that the springs for the leds may not be making full contact. I cleaned everything up and it seems to be rock solid. I think that you pulled the tpp 3 screws and that moved the board enough to reestablish contact. The only thing that I might be doubtfull of in the future is the flashing light feature. Thats kind of not that important if you don't depend on it.
  Dont depend on anything....always look and doublecheck if you life may be on the line.
  I put this meter up against my Fluke 83-iii and for the money, it's avery good deal.
  I've got 10 meters laying around here right now and at the moment, this one is my favorite.

Thank you. Since pulling out, wiggling the boards a bit and re-assembling, it appears to be functioning properly. I will use it for awhile, before deciding upon an exchange. Travel and shipment is hard on electrical equipment, cameras, etc. I would like to avoid that. And I really like this little meter.

Thanks
Russ

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2017, 04:14:56 am »

I added a back cover, a clear front cover and spiral binding.  ;)

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2017, 04:24:42 am »
     Thank you. Since pulling out, wiggling the boards a bit and re-assembling, it appears to be functioning properly. I will use it for awhile, before deciding upon an exchange. Travel and shipment is hard on electrical equipment, cameras, etc. I would like to avoid that. And I really like this little meter.

In that case it's likely to be either a backlight solder joint, or maybe the backlight module itself.
In either case, first report of this problem.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2017, 04:37:58 am »

In that case it's likely to be either a backlight solder joint, or maybe the backlight module itself.
In either case, first report of this problem.

Dave

It appears to be fine now. I will will keep it unless it acts up again. If it does, I can exchange it for another one?

Thanks
Russ

Offline Bashstreet

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2017, 06:40:19 am »

Thanks
Russ

Yeah i think most of us know how gentle postal workers are toward parcels... :palm:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf