Author Topic: First Oscilloscope for a beginner? Something under 300USD  (Read 2103 times)

Offline AkbarTopic starter

• Contributor
  • EE Student
First Oscilloscope for a beginner? Something under 300USD
« on: July 22, 2021, 03:40:41 pm »
I will be joining Electrical Engineering and I want a somwhat decent oscilloscope, I want the cheapest reasonable oscilloscope that would not be a limitation when making measurements. Won't be doing serious measurements but I want a somewhat reliable scope. The Oscilloscopes I liked were:

The Owon VDS1022 - 2 Channel 25Mhz 100M/s -(80USD Delivered) This one seemed like really good value but a bit limiting since I don't like upgrading equipment in a short period of time

The Hantek DSO2D15 - 2 Channel 150MHz 1G/s + AWG - (220USD Delivered) This seemed like the next reasonable step up in terms of features but looking through the forums I can see controversial opinions on it, about the advertised specs and it's very aparant locking up issue. I don't want something that makes me regret buying it but minor issues I can live by

Found This as well in the same price as the Hantek :

OWON SDS1102 - 2 Channel 100Mhz 1G/s - Didnt seem as good of a value initially

The reason I am leaning towards the Hantek is that it is fairly cheap and I will be getting free shipping from China on AliExpress which is a pretty major cost factor buying from other stores internationally to get it Shipped to the UAE. I looked at other options from other stores and the prices on some of the name brand scopes was not that bad like this

https://www.tequipment.net/Instek/GDS-1202B/Digital-Oscilloscopes/

But the 90USD shipping and import cost doesnt make it a good value, looking at my options locally I might need to spend 2x than the Hantek to get a better scope. Any Suggestions on alternatives and any opnions if the Hantek is worth the gamble
-Akbar

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
Re: First Oscilloscope for a beginner? Something under 300USD
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2021, 04:58:23 pm »
I would avoid Owon all things being equal. I have it, and the performance is fine (for the price), but it has a very annoying single trigger mode. It is very hard to re-arm the trigger once it has fired. It is next to useless.
Alex

Offline bob91343

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2021, 05:19:54 pm »
My advice is to buy a used scope at a swap meet.  You get more bang for the buck, and the new units you are considering will be almost worthless soon.  Digital scopes are fine for sophisticated measurements but for casual probing it's hard to beat a decent analog scope.

I just sold a Tektronix 50 MHz scope for $100 and would have taken less if pressured.  It's a fine unit and would serve you well for many purposes.

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2021, 05:31:22 pm »
I would avoid Owon all things being equal. I have it, and the performance is fine (for the price), but it has a very annoying single trigger mode. It is very hard to re-arm the trigger once it has fired. It is next to useless.

Is that using stock Owon s/w or Florentbr's much improved version ( https://github.com/florentbr/OWON-VDS1022 )? It's not something I've noticed with his version, and he's very responsive to issues.
Best Regards, Chris

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2021, 05:49:29 pm »
This is with stock firmware. I was not aware of the alternative firmware, I'll check it out.

Also, don't get analog scope.
Alex

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2021, 05:51:58 pm »
Wait, the discussed device is OWON SDS1102, which is a standalone instrument with a display, not a PC scope.
Alex

• Contributor
  • EE Student
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2021, 06:04:52 pm »
Not looking for an anloge scope and people dont really sell scopes here in used, looked at classfield sites found none
-Akbar

• Contributor
  • EE Student
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2021, 06:09:56 pm »
Looked at many scopes that I could get, Owon just was an alternate. I might get the Hantek DSO2D15. The more expensive 4xxx series from hantek has really low memory and it is pretty pricey and only has a AWG as a reedeming quality. Options from Rigol or Siglet are above the 380USD mark locally for a 2 channel scope so dont have much choice.
-Akbar

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2021, 07:18:45 pm »
Wait, the discussed device is OWON SDS1102, which is a standalone instrument with a display, not a PC scope.

Ah, I see the confusion, the VDS1022 (that I though we were discussing) is the first item on the OP's list (he listed two Owons).
« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 07:54:48 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2021, 08:12:41 am »
Options from Rigol or Siglet are above the 380USD mark locally for a 2 channel scope so dont have much choice.
Yes for the more modern DSO's with a reasonable feature set ~$350+ is entry level which I strongly recommend you save up for.
Otherwise at $299 there is the SDS1102CML+ however while these are very reliable they don't offer the feature set of 200 MHz SDS1202X-E or even the lower 100 MHz 4ch $399 SDS1104X-U.

X-U are proving to be popular for us as a first or replacement scope as more customers require decoding capability.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

• Contributor
  • EE Student
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2021, 12:17:38 pm »
NVM on the supposedly Bargain price the seller asked to pay 50USD shipping that AliExpress charges making it more in its usual price range, might buy from Banggood but paying 50USD extra on the Aliexpress lisitings is the same cost from Banggood. Another seller Hantek Dongdong Instruments Store is offering the 2D15 for about 30USD more with AliExpress direct but after messaging the seller, they don't know if I have to pay extra 50USD to get it if I buy it from them. Waiting on my refund now, probably will get it from Banggood since delivery time is usually under 10 days compared to 20-25 on AliExpress
-Akbar

Offline rhb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2021, 05:58:47 pm »
Have you priced a Rigol DS1052E?  Amazon lists them at $258 with free shipping.  There are lots of sellers.  I think you'd find that a better choice than anything cheaper.  My first DSO was a DS1102E which I still have.  Good solid scope.

Unlocking them for 100 MHz was the start of the Rigol hacking thread.

Have Fun!
Reg

• Contributor
  • EE Student
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2021, 06:32:10 pm »
Right now I am thinking of saving up a bit more, about 400USD and look at my options. My main issue is shipping costs of importing stuff, locally not much is available and it is not at great prices

Rigol DS1054Z - 445USD Locally - 4 Channel 50MHz
Siglent SDS1202X-E - 420USD Locally - 2 Channel 200Mhz
Siglent SDS1104X-U - 500USD Imported - 4 Channel 100MHz

the first 2 cheaper of them are options I am considering. I do want 4 channels if I will be paying those kind of prices. I was thinking of importing the 4 channel model of the Siglent but I think that might be streching a bit too far. I will think about it but wont be getting the Hantek since I want a long term option.

Amazon.com wants 190USD to ship the scope you mentioned for some reason so definately not that one... Shipping costs was the main reason to consider a Chinese scope, sub 50USD is still better than 100USD-120USD for importing
-Akbar

Offline rhb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2021, 07:02:56 pm »
I looked at the UAE price at Popular Electronics.  OUCH!!!  1700 AED ~ $463 USD for a DS1052E.

It looks as if a vacation to buy a scope might be worthwhile.

The other scopes are better.  Saving your money and studying the various models while you accumulate the savings needed is always a good move.

Good luck and...

Have Fun!
Reg

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf