Author Topic: Signal Generator Clock Pulse Issue  (Read 1215 times)

Offline JonPyroTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Signal Generator Clock Pulse Issue
« on: August 27, 2019, 06:50:06 pm »
Hi All,

I am trying to construct a test rig that will send clock pulses to some boards that have a 4013B flip flop wired as a latch. Rather than directly connect the output of a signal generator to the clock input I thought it would be fun just to add some extra complications and drive the clock pulse from a mosfet instead and drive the gate with my signal generator (Rigol DG822).

This is the circuit:

For my reference I have an LED also on the source so I can visually see the clock pulses get sent, however, an interesting thing happens.

My signal generator is set up sending a PWM of 1hz and duty cycle of 10%:

probed at the mosfet source:

You will notice the first pulse is when I enable my sign gen output, you can see the rise time is much longer than the other pulses, here is the first pulse on its own:

Here is the second and beyond pulse:

This long first pulse is causing the 4013bs to go wobbly as its a invalid clock rise time but why does only the first pulse do this?

I have connected my sig gen directly to my scope input and every pulse is perfect, so it must be my circuit to blame but I am not sure why.

Any help would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 06:52:41 pm by JonPyro »

Offline radiolistener

• Super Contributor
Re: Signal Generator Clock Pulse Issue
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2019, 07:56:19 pm »
did you tried to remove LED to avoid output distortions?

The following users thanked this post: JonPyro

Offline JonPyroTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Re: Signal Generator Clock Pulse Issue
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2019, 08:50:55 pm »
I have tried removing the 4013 boards and the led and it still has a slow rise on the first pulse. Interesting when I remove the led the waveform shows more overshoot and undershoot on the over pulses but the first is still slow.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf