Author Topic: SMD diode  (Read 2242 times)

Offline avc4evaTopic starter

• Contributor
SMD diode
« on: October 28, 2014, 10:40:32 am »
Hi, I'm designing a PCB and am in need of a small package diode for protection from a small vibration motor.

Originally on breadboard i was using a 1N4001 so am now confused on what diode to use for smd, my project is constrained to space.
The Schematic designed is below and at the moment I'm using an SMA package diode but its rather large.

In short i am wondering what process i would need to determine an smd equivalent diode for this PCB and for future reference.

Thanks!

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: SMD diode
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 11:11:31 am »
What are you protecting against?
What type of motor?

If it is reverse EMF/current from the motor, the diode should be across the motor. Assuming protecting from reverse EMF/current from the motor....

In general the calculation will be something along the lines of:
  • when transistor switched off, the same current will continue to flow through the inductor and diode; hence the diode must be able to take that forward current
  • energy stored in the inductor will have to be dissipated somewhere; that will be in the diode with a 0.6V drop, so you can work out how long the current will flow
  • if you want faster dissipation then add a resistor in series with the diode, thus "increasing the 0.6V" to V=0.6+IR; choose R so that V does not damage the other components

You would be well advised to find application notes for drivers for the type of motor you are using
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline avc4evaTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 11:13:59 am »
What are you protecting against?
What type of motor?

If it is reverse EMF/current from the motor, the diode should be across the motor. Assuming protecting from reverse EMF/current from the motor....

In general the calculation will be something along the lines of:
  • when transistor switched off, the same current will continue to flow through the inductor and diode; hence the diode must be able to take that forward current
  • energy stored in the inductor will have to be dissipated somewhere; that will be in the diode with a 0.6V drop, so you can work out how long the current will flow
  • if you want faster dissipation then add a resistor in series with the diode, thus "increasing the 0.6V" to V=0.6+IR; choose R so that V does not damage the other components

You would be well advised to find application notes for drivers for the type of motor you are using

Thanks for the reply, just realized schematic is wrong anode should not be on the base but across motor, thanks for prompting me. And ye it's against reverse current. I will do what you said thanks!

Online T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 11:50:34 pm »
2N2222 won't draw any current that a common 1N4148 won't handle.

1N4148W, MMSD4148, etc. are common numbers.

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf