Author Topic: Microscope Alternative  (Read 8304 times)

Offline alvaropTopic starter

• Contributor
    • alvarop.com
Microscope Alternative
« on: May 12, 2011, 11:03:50 am »
I can't really buy a new microscope right now, but I figured out a way to use my DSLR camera instead.
I haven't done any soldering with it yet, but I tried out the positioning and lighting earlier.

Here's how I did it:

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
Re: Microscope Alternative
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 11:57:21 am »
Yes, that's great, just get a desktop cheapo tripod, and a Panavise or cheapo vise and you can work in real time using your monitor as a screen.  Good for home labs on a budget, like me!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 01:23:29 pm by saturation »
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline Jon Chandler

• Frequent Contributor
    • Throw Away PIC
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 12:08:35 pm »
Wow, looks like you've got lots of working room between the lens and the board and great resolution.

Offline sacherjj

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 01:23:06 pm »
The only thing I worry about there is display lag.  There will be some, hopefully it isn't noticeable.

Offline EccentricRuss

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 02:58:56 pm »
What's the hardware/software combination?

• Contributor
    • alvarop.com
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 04:08:21 pm »
The lag was not too bad. The nice thing is that I can look directly at the circuit AND the screen without moving much at all. I haven't used this to actually solder yet, this was just a video of the setup, so I will do that next and see how it goes.

The camera is a Canon Rebel XSi (450D) with a Sigma 18-200mm lens. I just connected it through USB and use the eos-movierec program for the actual live-view on the screen. http://sourceforge.net/projects/eos-movrec/

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 05:00:17 pm »
great idea!
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline Zad

• Super Contributor
    • Digital Wizardry, Analogue Alchemy, Software Sorcery
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 03:09:31 pm »
When used in continuous streaming, SLR sensors can tend to overheat unfortunately. Just something to watch out for.

Offline baljemmett

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 03:43:19 pm »
When used in continuous streaming, SLR sensors can tend to overheat unfortunately. Just something to watch out for.

I was wondering about this -- I know my EOS 50D turns Live View off automatically after a couple of minutes to avoid overheating.  I don't know whether PC-based software can override this (surely not a good idea to do that anyway!), but I do remember the in-box remote shooting software worked pretty well for some tripod work I did when I first bought the camera.  Planning on trying my hand at SMD soldering soon so might give this a go, either using the laptop or the HDMI input on the small television from the kitchen...

Offline amigo

• Regular Contributor
  • Professional Wannabe
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 04:41:09 pm »

Is this an issue with all sensors, regardless whether they are CCD or CMOS?

• Contributor
    • alvarop.com
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2011, 04:34:36 pm »
I did notice it shutting off after a while. How do they deal with this with the new DSLRs that can do HD video?

Offline baljemmett

• Supporter
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2011, 05:31:29 pm »
I did notice it shutting off after a while. How do they deal with this with the new DSLRs that can do HD video?

Good question, although from experimentation yesterday it may not be an issue after all.  Using my DSLR and the 'remote live view' function of Canon's in-box software, the limiting factor seemed to be battery life.  Worked very nicely, too; ended up with approximately 12x magnification.

Consulting the book of words, apparently using live view on the camera itself obeys whatever inactivity timer the user has set, or 30 minutes if that's set to 'don't power down'.  There is a cautionary note that prolonged use raises the internal temperature which will affect image quality, and to let it cool down before making any long exposures, but looks like I misremembered the warning about a thermal cutout!

Offline Zad

• Super Contributor
    • Digital Wizardry, Analogue Alchemy, Software Sorcery
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2011, 06:44:09 pm »
I think the heating current is generated simply from the amount of electrons being moved around 10/12/14 million pixels and through shift registers. HD video probably gets around this by just sampling 720 or 1080 lines and skipping pixels instead of the full resolution of the CCD/CMOS.

Webcams are surprisingly good at close-up work too, my Logitech 9000 can get in surprisingly close at 2MP resolution.

Offline catamaran

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2011, 06:33:00 pm »
I went to a library sell one day, and they had a old tube B/W video book viewer for people with vision problems up for sale, got it for a few bucks and mounted a ccd color camera in the holder (used the old lens) and cable to my VIDEO in on TV.   Works great, even has built in light, X-Y table, vertical adjustment.

Offline FreeThinker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Truth through Thought
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2011, 09:52:40 pm »
Just got a microscope from ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180661166226 .Thinking of buying one of these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130415646937&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT to use as a video output to a small lcd tv. Hoping that I can use it with a simple adaptor to swap out as required. Anyone ever tried this?
Machines were mice and Men were lions once upon a time, but now that it's the opposite it's twice upon a time.
MOONDOG

Alex

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf