Author Topic: function generator  (Read 1015 times)

Offline jude_elecTopic starter

function generator
« on: December 22, 2018, 12:38:47 am »
hello everyone, i am new to electronics and have received a lab assignment to evaluate an arbitrary function generator (GW instek mfg-2260 mra )
i am trying to evaluate it and see the benefits it has vs what is being used now (holzworth HSM1001A)
what i need from this device is to be able to produce a clean sine wave in 160 MHz to a circuit
i read the device data sheet and spec and tried to measure using my scope jitter and sine distortion of both of them also attenuation as frequency increases and compered to the spec, i wanted to know there are more thing i should do to compare the performence of this device?
i am not sure i fully understand the usage of trigger but i read about the trigger input option of this device and i wanted to know is there a way to use this input as a reference clock for the sine signal?
and also if anyone ever used this device before i would like to know how can i remote control with usb because the manual was not so helpful (or where can i read about it)
hope you could assist me.thank you.

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
Re: function generator
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2018, 12:52:28 am »
As far as remotly controlling it, have a read on from page 250 in the manual,
https://www.gwinstek.com/en-global/products/downloadSeriesDownNew/5080/418

The trigger functions of a signal generator is generally used to either turn on or off the output, or change some characteristic of the output when the state changes, e.g. a really basic example would be you want it to generate a frequency whenever a signal goes high, and be off the moment it goes low, the trigger can be used to do that,

Then there are more complex things, e.g. giving it an arbitrary waveform that is a malformed packet or transmission of your desired protocol. and firing it off as you vary supply voltage of your device, or change something else.

Online MarkF

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2018, 03:39:06 am »
One thing you can do to see how clean your sine output is to look at the frequency domain with the FFT function on your scope or spectrum analyser.  Look at the harmonics and what their amplitude is.

Offline jude_elecTopic starter

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2018, 09:31:47 pm »
thank you for your reply
Ive measured the harmonic distortion of both of devices in one frequency that i am mostly interested in(156 MHz), and the difference is of less than 1%, does it has any effect?
and secondly , should i perform for more frequencies surrounding that specific one? is THD a size you can average on' cause it is frequency dependent?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf