Author Topic: Fusing, ESD TVS, Reverse Polarity Protection of a Device supplied wit 24VDC  (Read 737 times)

Offline zero0dTopic starter

• Contributor
Hi All,

I would like to discuss a 24VDC powered device protection scheme.

Assuming the device is powered with 24VDC and can consume up to 60W, and it needs fusing, esd protection and reverse polarity protection ( LED should signal the reverse polarity event). The idea is to use standard components opposed to integrated solution.

Here is my schematic attached, either using D1 or D2 for ESD.

1) Would you suggest using D1 or D2 when there is a PMOS reverse polarity protection scheme ?
2) What is the drawback if for D1 instead of bidirectional TVS and unidirectional TVS would be used ?
3)in some app notes instead of bidirectional TVS, 2 back to back unidirectional are used, what is the advantage of this regarding to bidirectional tvs?
4) Would you add a Zener diode parallel to R2, is there any drawback if we don't use the Zener diode on the gate of p-mos?
5) Can you propose a simple LED circuit that will lit up when there is a reverse polarity event ?

Br.

Offline wasedadoc

• Super Contributor
5) Diode, LED and series resistor directly across the supply input, ie before the fuse. LED lights on reversed input and stays lit after fuse blows.

As to the rest I think you are overdoing it.  A reverse biased power diode between fuse output and negative.  No MOSFET.  One TVS across the output.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2023, 12:59:59 pm by wasedadoc »

Offline TimNJ

• Super Contributor
What kind of 24VDC system? Automotive?

4. As is, the gate sees 1/2 the supply voltage. If there is a transient (let’s say the supply voltage jumps up to 50V for a moment), then the gate will see 25V. With a zener, the gate is always clamped to the zener voltage.

5. To serve as a visual aid, try re-labeling your schematic so that the (+) and (-) terminals are swapped. (This is what happens when the polarity is wrong, after all.)

Just need an LED, diode, and resistor in series. Cathodes (Ks) facing the positive terminal. Reverse breakdown voltage of an LED might be only 5V so in normal operation, a 24V reverse bias would be too much. So add a diode in series to block the LED frim seeing this high reverse voltage. You can use a 75V/100V diode,  1N400x, 1N4148, etc.

(-) — A(LED)K — A(diode)K — resistor — (+)

Offline TimNJ

• Super Contributor
5) Diode, LED and series resistor directly across the supply input, ie before the fuse. LED lights on reversed input and stays lit after fuse blows.

As to the rest I think you are overdoing it.  A reverse biased power diode between fuse output and negative.  No MOSFET.  One TVS across the output.

I think “overdoing it” depends strongly on the desired behavior of the system during/after the reverse polarity fault condition. Usability wise, very few users want the fuse to blow and system to be disabled, but often it is used because it is a simple technical solution.

OP, if you do not need to maintain ground continuity between the device being powered and the 24V supply, you can use and NMOS in the low-side. They’re cheaper for a given Rds(on).

Offline jonpaul

• Super Contributor
DC bus nature ?
application eg car, plane, sea?
threats of transients eg lightning alternators load dump, EMP ?

Usually just a TAZ is sufficient

j
Jean-Paul  the Internet Dinosaur

Offline zero0dTopic starter

• Contributor
Hi All,

The system is for an Industrial device ( Automotive factory ). Also we need GND continuity and the option to use PMOS or some Ideal diode controller with NMOS, but i would like to stick to PMOS.
If you take that the max current is 2.5A then the max dissipation on P-mos is  ~2.5*2.5*4.8mOhm = 30mW.

Currently i'm using the attached schematic 1. but i would like also to ESD protect the PMOS.

1)
So i would like to that you look at schematic 2,3,4,5 and comment which one would you preferer and why?

Schematic 2) Bipolar TVS before PMOS
Schematic 3) Unipolar TVS before PMOS
Schematic 4) Back-to-Back TVS before PMOS - is there any advantage over Bipolar TVS before PMOS?
Schematic 5) Bipolar TVS before PMOS and Unipolar After PMOS

2)
Also the Bipolar (SMCJ24CA) and Unipolar (SMCJ24A) TVS from Bourns https://hr.mouser.com/datasheet/2/54/SMCJ-778393.pdf
have max clamping voltage of 50V ( for 8/20 pulse) and 39V (for 10/ 1000 pulse) , is the selection of PMOS ok regarding to its VDS maximum ? I'm assuming Vd and Vs are on same potential in a ESD event or am i wrong?

3)
Regarding the LED ofr reverse polarity indication, what do you think of the schematic below ( LED Schematic), the connection is after the fuse.

Br,
d.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf