Author Topic: Getting a -12v +12v range from ATX power supply  (Read 3168 times)

Offline IngerAlHaosuluiTopic starter

Getting a -12v +12v range from ATX power supply
« on: November 20, 2015, 10:36:36 am »
I have a old PC power supply that outputs +3.3v, +5v, +12v and -12v, i want to convert it into bench top power supply. I want to have one of the outputs to   have a +12v -12v range. I was thinking to use a potentiometer connected to the + and - rails and connecting the middle contact to the output of the power supply. I used a circuit simulator to check my idea and it appears to work however i don't know if this is ok to do IRL. If anyone know or has better idea please tell me.

Offline jeroen79

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Getting a -12v +12v range from ATX power supply
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 10:56:31 am »
Try simulating that with a load (a resistor to ground) connected to the output.

Offline mariush

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2015, 11:13:08 am »
The -12v output on atx power supplies is very weak, usually under 0.5A, and it's not very well regulated. 

It's not suitable for anything serious.

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2015, 01:02:07 pm »
Ok, another reason i wanted to do this was to be able to set the adjust pin of lm317 from +12 all the way down into the negative

Offline mikerj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2015, 03:17:19 pm »
Ok, another reason i wanted to do this was to be able to set the adjust pin of lm317 from +12 all the way down into the negative

An LM317 is a positive voltage regulator.  Applying a negative voltage on the adjust pin will not magically make it output regulated negative voltages. 

If you want a single bi-polar output that is continuously adjustable between +12 and -12v w.r.t 0v then the LM317 simply won't do it.  If you want a positive and negative regulated output then you could use a LM317 for the positive rail and an LM337 for the negative rail.  However, they both have a fairly high drop out voltage (1-2.5v depending on current and temperature), so your output won't go all the way to the +-12v rails.

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2015, 04:40:09 pm »

An LM317 is a positive voltage regulator.  Applying a negative voltage on the adjust pin will not magically make it output regulated negative voltages. 

With a adjust voltage of 0 the LM317 output is 1.25v but with a negative adjust you get all the way down to 0

A for regulation i want to regulate the other +12v rail to go from 0 to at least 10

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2015, 10:33:44 am »
Then it seems you need a negative voltage regulator to produce -1.25V that will take the ref pin and your output down to 0V. This should work despite the -12V not providing current as your output would be from the 0V to +12V output, I think.....

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2015, 11:22:50 am »
If you want to do that use a TDA2030 power applier, which can act as a voltage follower at DC for your pot. will source and sink 2A or so, though the sink capacity into the -12v rail will limit the current it can sink a lot.  You will have a lot of protection though on the variable supply.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf