Author Topic: Getting a qualification through work  (Read 13172 times)

Offline djsb

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Getting a qualification through work
« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2014, 05:19:13 pm »
A foundation degree is another option. Most are 1 year full time though and are used as a pathway to higher qualifications. I wish the government would expand opportunities (and financial support) for part time mature students. It would also help if support was given to smaller employers to allow employees to get training.

David.
David
Hertfordshire,UK
University Electronics Technician, London PIC,CCS C,Arduino,Kicad, Altium Designer,LPKF S103,S62 Operator, Electronics instructor. Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Credited Kicad French to English translator.

Offline SimonTopic starter

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2014, 07:34:03 pm »
what is a foundation degree ? I thought it was way over a HNC and next up from a HND

Offline djsb

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2014, 10:12:21 pm »
It's at a similar level to a HND. It is NOT the same as a degree program with an integrated foundation year. Best doing a google search on this to get an idea as I don't know that much about them really.

It's late and I'm tired.

David.
David
Hertfordshire,UK
University Electronics Technician, London PIC,CCS C,Arduino,Kicad, Altium Designer,LPKF S103,S62 Operator, Electronics instructor. Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Credited Kicad French to English translator.

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2014, 11:24:58 pm »

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2014, 06:43:01 am »
Hm, I'd definitely need to do that BTEC level before a foundation, I suppose it's an option if I can't get the distance HNC

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2014, 12:43:38 pm »
Try to see if you can persuade your employer into allowing you to have a day off, once per week, even if it means working extra hours on the other days. They will not always loose you for one day per week, as there will be school holidays.

I'm very cynical about distance learning. It's probably true you'd struggle if you went into an HNC class next week but you won't be doing that. The start date will be in September so you have the rest of spring and the whole of summer to prepare yourself for starting the course. You can spend time asking here and reading about what your need to know on the Internet. I'll even give you some of my old notes for the HNC/HND I completed 8 years ago if yoou like. Not much will have changed since the, you'll still have to learn algebra, calculus, Ohm's law, Kirchhoff's circuit laws, LRC circuits, Laplace transforms etc.

Back in 2006, the course was a bit Micky Mouse but going from what the apprentice where I work said, Bedford college has improved a lot in recent years. They've invested a lot in engineering and now have a dedicated engineering block and have made the course much more rigorous than before.

Offline M0BSW

• Frequent Contributor
  • Left this site 2013, they will not delete it ????
« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2014, 12:49:57 pm »
That's interesting Bedford college not to far from Peterborough,Our college in Peterborough doesn't even cover the subject.
no one would or will tell me how to delete this account

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2014, 01:55:45 pm »
Very few colleges do electronics at all, the OU does not do electronics. It seems that britain is going to "weld" it's way out of recession.

I won't be able to get a day release. We are a mechanical company that sees little value in electronics other than the cost of what we have spent on a subcontractor. the one guy that did a course in mechanical engineering (our bread and butter) had to do it as distance studying. We don't seem to be very good in investing in equipment or people and the offer is just past a cop-out in my opinion so that they feel covered for the work I do (saving large suby costs).

I've agreed to do the BTEC L3, I should be able to get through it no problems and it will ensure I have what I need for a HNC or similar. It's cheap so no arguments, once I've got that under my belt I may be able to take another qualification especially if they want to put more electronics work on me.

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2014, 01:57:29 pm »
apparently a BTEC L3 means:

ability to gain or apply a range of knowledge, skills and understanding, at a detailed level
    appropriate if you plan to go to university, work independently, or (in some cases) supervise and train others in their field of work

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf