Author Topic: Getting started with microcontrollers  (Read 7723 times)

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
Re: Getting started with microcontrollers
« Reply #150 on: March 28, 2024, 07:19:52 pm »
I sometimes see ESP32 and similar microcontrollers suggested to beginners based on their specs alone, while neglecting some important aspects.

Namely, ESP32 has very slow build times (even after the first build where it caches *some things*), complicated toolchain and, in part, thanks to it's very large flash (8mb!), it takes quite a long time to reprogram the flash too.
That's a good point; long compile times are a downside. At least in PlatformIO, the caching makes a huge difference. On the other hand, I don't find the upload speed to be a huge burden. First off, most ESP32's come with 4MB flash; 8MB and 16MB are options. But if I'm not sorely mistaken, unused flash doesn't get uploaded. So if you're only making a small application, it will upload quickly.

I have been known to do some initial programming on AVR to get program flow or whatever working, then move it to ESP32 later. That and the aforementioned doing parts in onlinegdb.com to debug algorithms or whatever.

Offline radiohomebrewer2000

• Contributor
Re: Getting started with microcontrollers
« Reply #151 on: March 31, 2024, 12:02:56 pm »
Soldar,
Have you gotten your Arduino UNO R3 yet?
Have you played with it yet?

I am curious.

I think you made a good choice.  I got an authentic Arduino UNO 3 about 12 years ago as part of a Make ultimate pack.  Most of that stuff I did not use.  I still use the solderless breadboard and the jumper wires from it.  However, I could have done without it.  Or gotten the cheaper pack.

I do like the Arduino Nano better because it fits on a solderless breadboard.  Once your design works, build on a solderable breadboard that works like a solderless breadboard with the same number of points.  However, there are these Arduino Nano sockets you can buy to plug your Nano in.  Here is a description you can search:  Nano Controller Terminal Adapter Expansion Board Nano IO Shield Simple Extension Plate for Arduino Nano AVR ATMEGA328P.  I use this so you can unplug it to make an update to your Nano's sketch.

Blink is good to start with especially since it is already on the Arduino I got.   The tutorial for getting started at Arduino.cc is good.  And the Arduino IDE is good too.  Sure, it is not as good as Eclipse of Visual Studio for an IDE, but it works.  One of things I did after getting Blink to upload and work was to modify the sketch (program) to blink faster or slower or some kind of pattern using the delay function.  This is to prove changes I make are being uploaded successfully.

And when you are ready, you can try other microcontrollers like ESP32 and programming languages like assembly, C, C++, Python, Rust, etc.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf