Electronics > Beginners

Good Compact Oscilloscope

(1/6) > >>

Lance:
I'm going to be going away from home to do my EE at uni, and I want to take a decent set of tools with me. I'm set for almost everything, however I don't have an oscilloscope I can reasonably take with me. Reason being I may end up in a residence where space will be at a very big premium. I know both Dave and a bunch of the folks here say that USB scopes are useless, but is that really the case?

With my bench one I don't usually don't need more than two channels, and since the work I'm doing is fairly basic I don't need any insanely fast stuff. The highest frequencies I've ever measured are oscillators from microchip pics at 32MHz. I'm not really too familiar with the specifics, hence why I'm asking. Are there any USB scopes that will do an adequate job, or should I just get another standalone unit?

Simon:
The thing with USB scopes is that the USB transmission line is slow in comparison to the amount of data you ideally need to send to the pc although maybe USB3.0 specs with 10x the capacity of USB2.0 will change this. it does mean you have to have a laptop in tow anywhere you go. Surely something like the rigol or equivalent is not that big ?

Mechatrommer:

--- Quote from: Simon on May 21, 2011, 07:29:32 am ---The thing with USB scopes is that the USB transmission line is slow in comparison to the amount of data you ideally need to send to the pc

--- End quote ---
why we need so much faster data transfer? who's going to process that? how much fps the so called adequate data transfer?

Simon:
from what I understand you don't get such a good real time view of signals (or any at all)

mikeselectricstuff:
One of the best small 'proper' scopes I've seen is the Owon HDS range. Performance is pretty good but unfortunately let down by a poor user interface and a near-uselessly slow DMM mode. It is entirely useable once you get used to it, it's just a pity that it could be so much better with decent firmware.
I have the older version  there are some new ones out now (-N suffix) that have seperate buttons for each channel, which may be better.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version