Author Topic: Good sequential electronics tutorials?  (Read 11040 times)

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: Good sequential electronics tutorials?
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2017, 09:08:04 am »
Whilst I agree with you in sentiment, in practice you can achieve a ridiculous amount in engineering without complex math (i.e. anything more than basic ohms law and other basic level stuff).

The Maths Faculty member who taught me 2nd year engineering maths summarised that succinctly while still hinting at the the underlying truth. "The best result of maths is that you don't need to use it all the time".

Engineering is an applied science, and you can often understand and apply engineering principles to give you (even complex) desired end result without much math at all.

Iff, importantly, you stay within the limits of where the maths is valid. To know that boundary needs an understanding of the maths. Similar principles are true in many engineering domains.

(Iff is the math's contraction of "if and only if").
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline raspberrypiTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2017, 12:06:18 am »
You might have noticed that the OP hasn't reared their head since the first post. Perhaps the reason for this is that people keep telling the OP that they "must do the maths" or words to that effect. If you go back and read the OP's (only) post the OP complains that many videos omit or gloss over the maths and goes on to comment on the futility of this at length. The OP doesn't need repeatedly telling that maths is important, they have already told us that they think it is.

This kind of diversion often seems to ever crop up when someone asks about learning resources here. If the OP had asked "Where can I get some nice red patent leather dancing shoes?" it would be (I hope) obvious to any commenter that they were well off answering the question if they started extolling the virtues of green rubber waders.

If anybody can answer the OP's question then please do so (I can't, I'm not a great consumer of video tutorials) but if you can't answer it, please don't offer your version of the answer to "How do I get a good education in X?" in lieu of an answer to the actual question posed. Please don't say "read books" when the question is "do you know of any good video series".

Perhaps the OP just absorbs information better from videos, perhaps they are dyslexic and don't like shouting it from the mountain top; whatever it is, I am sure they had their reasons for asking specifically about videos. People's styles of learning differ, offering the way that suits you as a panacea is not particularly helpful. I can learn just about anything from a book, my other half strongly prefers to go and take a taught class and struggles if a book is the only resource.

Nothing else short of direct insult is going to put a beginner off asking questions here faster than having what they have written ignored and then having a different question answered instead of the one they actually asked. Please people, read beginner's questions carefully and answer the actual question asked; ask for clarification if necessary, but please don't sideline onto a different topic.

I'm not trying to dissuade helpful comments, just ones that frustrate the original question.

The thing I find a bit ironic is that a couple of the people I regard as 'guilty' in this thread are often amongst the most helpful and knowledgable when they are answering the right question (including some of mine).

Why thank you. I thought I had made it very clear on why I DID want to learn the math. And the reason why I asked about videos (although thank you for that .pdf math book, I downloaded it) is I'm legally blind and can't see most print in text books. Plus I have to choose carefully which books I can have made into large print which is a process. The narration of a math problem saves me a literal headache from trying to see an equation just to find that I mistook a  \$\Omega\$ for an O or a 0. 
I'm legally blind so sometimes I ask obvious questions, but its because I can't see well.

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2017, 05:59:47 am »
Here is a set of videos along with course work for something like EE101:

https://learn.digilentinc.com/classroom/

I have been spending time with the Mesh and Nodal Analysis videos and I had gone previously through some of the earlier sessions.

The following users thanked this post: ziplock9000

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf