Author Topic: good/cheap headphone aplifier/dac?  (Read 521 times)

Offline flaotteTopic starter

• Contributor
good/cheap headphone aplifier/dac?
« on: April 18, 2024, 10:24:34 pm »
I would like to bump sound quality for my computer headphones.
Is there any good circuit for amplifier or even DAC that does not cost a fortune?
Or maybe... is it possible to get a ready to solder KIT?
or should I forget it and get external sound card?

p.s. I use bose QC25 now. They falling apart and will need to be replaced at some point, but it is the most comfortable headphones I ever had. I always work with them on, even without any music playing. Helps me to concentrate.  :bullshit: Any recommendation for replacement?

Online JustMeHere

• Frequent Contributor
Re: good/cheap headphone aplifier/dac?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2024, 10:47:31 pm »
If your laptop supports Bluetooth, then just get a decent pair of ear buds. 

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2024, 07:44:09 am »
how is that better in comfort/sound quality?

Online radiolistener

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2024, 09:02:18 am »
look for Chinese 384 kHz 32-bit DAC USB adapter like CX31993 or ALC5686.
It cost about 3-6 USD and has pretty good sound quality.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2024, 09:04:09 am by radiolistener »

Online BeBuLamar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2024, 10:08:19 am »
If you like the Bose QC25 why not just buy another?

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2024, 10:51:42 am »
If you like the Bose QC25 why not just buy another?

I want to get a bit better DAC or amplifier. Sound goes worse on higher volumes for my source.
I switch between work/home computer maintaining same docking station, bluetooth would add extra hassle. USB->wired solution works better in my case. Will check CX31993/ALC5686.

Regarding headphones, QC25/35 can be can a decent candidate, really comfortable.
But it did not last that long. I don't want to support business that produces short lasting products. In general I like good quality items and I take care of it.
if it looks like that after 2 years  (not my link https://preview.redd.it/my-qc-35-ii-started-to-fail-apart-badly-v0-oz75wugeb8z91.png?width=1080&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=75cc96a2f429a9436636e750d85929db98b348fd) there is something wrong with the material, I would say.

Offline jasonRF

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2024, 12:00:50 pm »
I would like to bump sound quality for my computer headphones.
Is there any good circuit for amplifier or even DAC that does not cost a fortune?
Or maybe... is it possible to get a ready to solder KIT?
or should I forget it and get external sound card?
The sound from my laptop isn't good, and I have verified (measured) that it outputs very little below 100Hz even with a high impedance load.  An external amp does not help with that kind of problem, only a DAC would.  On the other hand, I had another laptop that had a terrible headphone driver that was severely current-limited (again, measured), so an external buffer was all it took to make it sound nice.  Have you done any measurements on yours to understand what the issue may be?

In any case, for reviews of commercial products I would recommend looking at audiosciencereview.com

p.s. I use bose QC25 now. They falling apart and will need to be replaced at some point, but it is the most comfortable headphones I ever had. I always work with them on, even without any music playing. Helps me to concentrate.  :bullshit: Any recommendation for replacement?
Comfort is obviously a very personal thing.  What is comfortable for me may be terrible for you.  Do you have a store near you where you can try out different headphones?

Online BeBuLamar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2024, 12:31:24 pm »
Although I have never have one I think if I were you I would try the Austrian Audio Hi X25-BT. A bluethooth headphones set has the DAC and amp built in. I had the AKG headphones K240 (ones that made in Austria not China) I liked it a lot. It did go bad after 30 years but I found it's very comfortable to wear. The sound is very neutral and you may not like it because I found Bose sound is no where near neutral.

Online xvr

• Regular Contributor
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2024, 02:03:18 pm »
Start from selection of headphones. They will determine quality of DAC/Amplifier required (or absence of it - if you select BT model)

Offline Peabody

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2024, 02:55:03 pm »
There are a number of inexpensive modules on Amazon that feature the TI TPA6120 hadphone amp chip.  But I don't know what kind of audio quality that part provides.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf