Author Topic: Grounding issues...  (Read 2411 times)

Offline Hrvoje-CROTopic starter

• Contributor
Grounding issues...
« on: March 14, 2014, 04:34:15 pm »
Hello!

I have a problem with TDS2002B scope and DDS function generator.

It is quite simple but i am a little bit confused because sometimes strange things happens with electricity in my house. (Sometimes my glamox radiator with digital thermostat stays ON (LED display only) when i switch it off.)

First of all, the problem occurs  when i switch off DDS generator on it's power switch, it stays still ON! Fully is powered OFF only if i disconnect scope's ground probe. So what to do? Is that normal behavior without isolation transformer or i have grounding problem in my home?

Thank you in advance!

Offline facumedica

• Contributor
    • TatuBlog
Re: Grounding issues...
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 02:33:20 am »
Maybe, yes. Maybe the live or hot (IDK how you call it) is in short with ground, and ground is not properly grounded. I don't know if this is your problem, look for a professional if you don't know what to do ;) And hey! Nice scope! I don't have even an analog one :(
My blog! English and Spanish! No Google translation! http://tatublog.com.ar

The youth gets together his materials to build a bridge to the moon, or, perchance, a palace or temple on the earth, and, at length, the middle-aged man concludes to build a woodshed with them.

Henry David Thoreau

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 08:02:36 pm »
Sounds like DDS switch is on the neutral line, so when you switch it "off" the active line is still connected, but with your scope ground connected to it, there is a current path remaining...

Watch

~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Offline sigxcpu

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 08:07:14 pm »
If that's the case, there should be mains potential between DDS ground and oscope ground. Easy to measure. Easy to "feel" :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf