Author Topic: Grounding of KSGER T12 with V2.05 PCB  (Read 768 times)

Offline makkenTopic starter

Grounding of KSGER T12 with V2.05 PCB
« on: December 15, 2021, 08:47:18 pm »
Hello EEVblog!
I have bought a KSGER T12 soldering station with the black v2.05 pcb from banggood, and I have already done the grounding of the case to PE.
However, I have not yet grounded the secondary circuit (the tip + controller) and I have some questions about this procedure, since I have had trouble finding a detailed tutorial for this.

I have studied the schematics provided by floobydust here https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/t12-stm32-v2-1s-soldering-station-controller-schematic-etc/msg2467236/#msg2467236 and they say that "PE GND needs jumper or extra wire added!"

I have measured continuity from the GND pin on the controller to these - pins on the mainboard. The first two pictures shows this.

From my understanding any of these pins should be connected to PE to provide ground to the controller and the tip. Is this correct?
If so, is it also correct to use any of the colored connections in the third picture?

« Last Edit: December 15, 2021, 08:52:03 pm by makken »

Offline Benta

• Super Contributor
Re: Grounding of KSGER T12 with V2.05 PCB
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2021, 09:52:12 pm »
I'm a bit unsure about what you wish to achieve.
A soldering tip connected to PE is not always desirable. A floating tip is in most cases the better choice.
In cases where you really need a PE connected tip, a ground clip to the heating element body is usually the better solution.

Offline makkenTopic starter

Re: Grounding of KSGER T12 with V2.05 PCB
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2021, 12:57:54 pm »
Thanks for the answer!

From my understanding it was a safety hazard not to ground the heating element, but maybe I was wrong. There was a ground path from PE to the tip at the V2.04 board apparently, but that was removed in V2.05 (black pcb).
Some more detailed comments about this are found here https://www.eevblog.com/forum/dodgy-technology/dangerous-solder-station-ksger-t12/msg3852254/#msg3852254

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf