Author Topic: Hakko-951 Issue / Power Line Quality  (Read 3383 times)

Offline DocJavaTopic starter

Hakko-951 Issue / Power Line Quality
« on: February 22, 2016, 07:57:16 pm »
I'm experiencing an issue with my Hakko 951 (new out of the box) and have reproduced the issue successfully on 3 separate identical units. When powering on the unit I receive a 5E error and a constant buzzing sound. This is the error for the tip being incorrectly inserted. Having tested with several tips I don't believe thats the issue.

When I power the unit from an UPS that is disconnected from the wall the unit powers up and functions perfectly without the 5E error. As soon as I connect the UPS to the wall the 5E error and buzzing starts. I've tried several different UPS connected to different outlets and have the same issue with each. On very rare occasions this issue doesn't occur and I can power the soldering iron from the wall outlet without issue.

It looks like a power quality or grounding issue. I've already purchased a power conditioning power strip and it didn't fix the issue. I also considered purchasing an isolation transformer however I don't know if this will fix the issue.

Does anyone have thoughts on what the issue may be?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009GI7NC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

https://www.hakko.com/english/products/hakko_fx951.html

Online wraper

• Supporter
Re: Hakko-951 Issue / Power Line Quality
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 08:05:32 pm »
Where you bought those soldering stations?

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 08:11:25 pm »
Two where purchased from Amazon and the third was directly from Hakko USA. When I emailed support they verified that the Amazon unit's serial number was genuine.

https://www.hakkousa.com/products/soldering/hakko-fx-951-soldering-station.html

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 11:47:36 pm »
When I power the unit from an UPS
I hope you tried at least one of these from the wall outlet, first. Just to rule out a problem with your UPS backup.

It sure sounds like there's a problem with at least one of your power sources.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 11:48:43 pm »
Hey, Doc, what's up? (always wanted to say that  ;D)  Does your UPS have line filtering or automatic voltage regulation?    I don't know where you are in the USA, but here in Florida, Florida(faulty) Power & Light can play havoc.  I use APC SmartUPS 1500s including 1 on my workbench where the toys and soldering irons are connected and I haven't had that issue with my FX-951.  I find it hard to believe that you may have had 3 bad units.  Time to check the electrical wiring and your UPS.

As an afterthought, did you get your tips from genuine Hakko dealerships?  If not, you may have gotten bad/fakko tips.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline wblock

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2016, 12:02:11 am »
Were the different outlets all in the same building?  Did you use the same IEC power cord, or try different ones?

Some APC UPSes have a "wiring fault" LED on the back.  Maybe your UPS has something similar.

Offline ade

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2016, 12:03:08 am »
It does sound like a power quality issue.  Have you tried running the Hakkos elsewhere?  (Different circuit or even building?)

Your UPS is probably a standby or line-interactive UPS.  You can instead use an online (pure-sinewave) UPS, though they tend to be more expensive.

But I'm surprised that your mains could be that bad... an inspection might be in order, you might have a wiring / grounding problem, etc.  Or there might be other equipment on the power line that's causing interference.

Offline haveissues

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2016, 12:30:17 am »
What kind of UPS are you using? If it is anything half way decent it should let you know if there is a ground fault.  I bet something else you have plugged in is causing the problem.  Someone recently gave me a really nice samsung laptop that had a finicky touchpad.  It turned out it only acted up when plugged in to power and the POS knock off power supply they were using with it was so noisy it was causing the touchpad to go haywire.

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2016, 04:47:02 pm »
Have you tried running the Hakkos elsewhere?  (Different circuit or even building?)

Yes, they work in another building without issue.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf