Author Topic: Hakko-FX951 Constant 5-E Error  (Read 14945 times)

Offline jmehrsTopic starter

Hakko-FX951 Constant 5-E Error
« on: October 20, 2016, 01:46:52 am »
I recently purchased a Hakko-FX951 and 3 tips(T15-JS02, T15-D12, and T15-KU) directly from the HakkoUSA website and it gives me a constant "5-E" error on the display even though the soldering cord is plugged securely into the unit and the tips were inserted all the way into the holder. There was one instance however where I applied force to the soldering wire connection into the unit(with the D12 tip in the holder) and it started to heat up but that only happened once. Has anyone had a similar issue or knows of a solution?

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
Re: Hakko-FX951 Constant 5-E Error
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 11:40:00 am »
I have one and have not had issues with it.  Contact Hakko to get the issue resolved.  Any playing around with it might void warranty.  Let us know how Hakko takes care of you.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline cs.dk

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 11:43:30 am »
5-E = S-E? Could be a temp sensor error.

Offline DimitriP

• Super Contributor
  • "Best practices" are best not practiced.© Dimitri
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 12:11:28 pm »
   If three 100  Ohm resistors are connected in parallel, and in series with a 200 Ohm resistor, how many resistors do you have? 

Offline flashcraft

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 03:37:21 am »
I was getting the same 5-e (S-e) error. This is what I did to fix the problem. You know when you push the soldering tip into the front colored part of the sleeve assembly and you get that click that means it seated properly? And then you push that front part of the sleeve assembly into the handle part and you get that other click that means that it has seated properly? Well, when I was pushing the colored part of the sleeve assembly (with the soldering tip seated properly in it) into the handle part it would push the soldering tip back out, unseating the tip, breaking the connection and causing the temperature sensor error.

So, once I got the colored sleeve in the handle part I would push the soldering tip into the colored sleeve AGAIN and it would click into the sleeve again making a good connection. No more 5-e error. Maybe this will help you. I hope so, good luck.

Offline ModemHead

• Frequent Contributor
  • No user-serviceable parts inside.
    • Mr. ModemHead
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2019, 06:52:06 pm »
Had the same problem myself. Until I figured it out. Should have RTFM.

Offline maksym

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2020, 09:00:30 pm »
Sorry for reviving the old thread - it comes up in Google on S-E error. For me, the right answer is that on the new unit inserting the tip for the first time can be very hard, to a point where it feels like it is about to break. This goes against the manual that says 'do not force the tip in'. Once you insert the tip into the sleeve and hear a click - notice how the skirt on the tip sits 3/16" below the flange of the sleeve (NOT level with the flange). When you try to insert the tip/sleeve assembly into the handle, the tip is pushed back and the skirt becomes level with the flange of the sleeve - you need to push the tip back in to where it clicks again and the skirt is again 3/16" below the flange.

To figure this out, I had to take the handle apart (pretty easy - just unscrew the base), and observe how the contact pads on the tip stop right before making contact with the contact springs inside the handle. Further troubleshooting information is here - for some reason, it is not in the manual for fx951.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/hakko-fm-2027/

The following users thanked this post: Electro Fan

Offline asgardianseraph

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2021, 07:13:47 pm »
Holy hell that worked.  I just had to push it a bit more.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf