Author Topic: Hands on part of my program next  (Read 4073 times)

Offline etstudentTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Hands on part of my program next
« on: September 19, 2012, 10:48:45 pm »
I would like to thank everyone over the last few days for all the help, I really appreciate it.
Now I'm onto the hands on experiments part of my program. They give you a "Digital trainer", its kinda just a piece of electronic equipment that you do experiments on. Its got logic indicators, clock generators, DC power supple, logic switches and data switches and more. It came with a tone of electronic parts too, from capacitors to resistors to LED's. I have to admit its a bit intimidating. I have to read the books, do the experiments and then of course, take the exams, 3 in all. You guys ever hear of a "Digital trainer", and can I claim on my resume I have had some "hands-on" experience with this? Its a pretty cool piece of equipment, but just a bit as I said,  intimidating.

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
Re: Hands on part of my program next
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 06:19:31 am »
You guys ever hear of a "Digital trainer",

Yes.

and can I claim on my resume I have had some "hands-on" experience with this?

Would you claim that you had some hands-on experience with a bike with training-wheels? Because such a kit is the equivalent of training wheels. You need them, but in the end you claim you can ride a bike, not that you had some experience with training wheels.

So the answer is, you can, but you shouldn't.

Its a pretty cool piece of equipment, but just a bit as I said,  intimidating.

Get used to it. Watch some of Dave's larger teardown videos. Much more stuff in serious electronics than in your training kit.
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 11:19:35 am »
Thanks for the info, appreciate it. Good advice, thank you.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 03:30:08 pm »
I did the first few experiments and OH MY GOD THAT WAS FUN! I had a ball, and it was NOT intimidating. I had so much fun playing around with the trainer. Its fun to get out of the book for a while and do something with my hands. I'm gonna LOVE this job, if I actually can after I graduate.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 05:49:23 pm »
I did training with an early one in the late 1980's. Did hack it to the point that I could do the 10 tests it was able to simulate in under 6 seconds, this being the resolution of the built in clock. Strange to see test results with time for each being 0.0 seconds, and total time being 0.0 seconds.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 08:54:18 pm »
Oh hey I have a really big question since we are talking about "Digital trainers" and hands on training. I am a home theater junkie, I have had lots of HT receivers, DVD players and amps. Would you advise my to find an old one that I still have, and take the chassis off? Maybe do some experimenting with that? What can I do with it, can I take some voltage measurements or current measurements with my multimeter? What would you suggest? Thanks again for the help.

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 01:15:42 am »
Oh hey I have a really big question since we are talking about "Digital trainers" and hands on training. I am a home theater junkie, I have had lots of HT receivers, DVD players and amps. Would you advise my to find an old one that I still have, and take the chassis off? Maybe do some experimenting with that? What can I do with it, can I take some voltage measurements or current measurements with my multimeter? What would you suggest? Thanks again for the help.

Old gear would be more amenable to this than newer gear, especially if you can find a workshop/repair manual. Newer things are more likely to be disposable and therefore have no maintenance info. With a voltmeter and/or oscilloscope a repair manual may indicate what voltages or signals should be measurable at various test points. Without a manual it will be very hard to figure out what is going on in the circuit until you have much more experience of how such circuits work.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 01:52:10 am »
That makes sense, thanks. Is there any benefit to taking off the chassis and observing the circuits inside anyway? Looking at all the difference components? I would guess keeping it unplugged would be best?

Offline ConnorGames

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2012, 03:24:59 am »
Keep it unplugged, and be careful of the mains caps. They look like this -http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j00ZBjtbMGnnzqf/Capacitors-105C-250V-470UF-.jpg. Don't touch the terminals, in unusual cases they could have a large voltage stored in them. Yes, you can learn a lot by taking things apart - and i personally have! It is interesting to see the choices the designers made and try to figure out why. It can be a fun challenge!  :)

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2012, 08:45:14 pm »
Thanks for the info, and suggestions. Appreciate that.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf