Author Topic: Hantek DSO5102B or Owon SDS7102  (Read 7223 times)

Offline osarusTopic starter

Hantek DSO5102B or Owon SDS7102
« on: February 04, 2012, 12:30:55 pm »
Howdy,

Brought the owon in the end, mainly as i can get in locally in aus. have any questions ill try my best to answer though somewhat new to this.
First up no idea what I'm doing... i always just dive in head first!

Have 6 weeks off, looking for a new toy :) main reason: hoping to build a sensored 3 phase brushless controller to stick on my bike with all the features i want and learning more about microprocessors(for controller and "other"), also considering a radio licence :)

I'm leaning towards the Hantek DSO5102B, the competition is the owon SDS7102, there was also the rigol 50MHz (hacked to 100MHz) but decided i don't like the tiny screen/possibility i cant hack it/not native 100MHz, any reason i should reconsider?

The Hantek
$50~ more but can be hacked to 200MHz
Seems to have a much nicer interface and GUI, button placement, menu placement, default info on screen
screen 1" smaller then owon but my eyes are fine and has better usage on realestate :)
optional internal battery in owon is a non issue for me
1M seems like enough memory to me, the owons larger memory seems to come at a cost according to this vid
Code: [Select]
www.youtube.com/watch?v=djRr2GwXb54 how do u stop vids embeding?(which is somewhat old) saying its all "medium capture rate" for all sizes insted of fast speed for smaller memory amount and much slower on large memory amounts. Is the hantek similar in this regard?
VGA on owon is nice but not a big issue to me
LAN on owon, any real advantage? USB 1.0 12mbit is faster then 10mbit ethernet? owon has usb 2.0, don't know if the bandwidth is used though?
trigger out on owon only runs at 23Hz(also from above video) or slower depending on settings. is this typical for pricerange/Hantek?
pass/fail test on owon only runs 12 tests/sec. Is this also typical/same as hantek?
From the above videos Creator the hantek firmware is unstable and freezes often? cant find a rev log of firmware version log, has this been updated, vid was afew months old?

Comments on both relating to
Included software?
Ease of importing exported data to PC for pass/fail tests, serial protocol decoding(is there software that dose such a thing? other benefits?), other?

Dose anyone have either of these scopes that would suggest other big +'s or -'s

too little info about actual usability

thx ;- )
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 01:21:57 pm by osarus »

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
Re: Hantek DSO5102B or Owon SDS7102
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 01:51:07 pm »

The Hantek
$50~ more but can be hacked to 200MHz

Owon SDS7102 new improved version is allready 200MHz. No need even hack.

(btw, this review is made with old hardware with old FW)
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 04:27:01 pm »
Yeah i just found the post about that, thanks rf-loop. One thing off the list.

I did ask about firmware in post, i tried to find a firmware revision log for both, but coudnt find any firmware downloads at all for owon? are there no updates for it?

Offline shebu18

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 06:41:13 pm »
Interesting thread. i am also between those scopes. The Hantek side has a small lead now.

Is there a review with the now owon fw?

Offline lavo-1

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 08:20:54 pm »
Reading this post with much interest as I am toying with the idea of buying a Owon SDS7102.

rfloop would be so kind as to post a link to where you found the information regarding the new 200MHz firmware as I am unable to see a SDS7102 with this BW advertised. ;)

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 01:14:08 pm »
Reading this post with much interest as I am toying with the idea of buying a Owon SDS7102.

rfloop would be so kind as to post a link to where you found the information regarding the new 200MHz firmware as I am unable to see a SDS7102 with this BW advertised. ;)

No, 200MHz do not come by any FW. It is not FW related thing here in this case.

After Owon made new improved HW it rise BW. You can easy find these tests.
They have designed agen scope analog front end construction. Also relays have changed for better reliability and RF.

Also Owon SDS7102 have alvays 2ns/div. Hantek have this only in 200MHz model.

Owon SDS7102 have well over 200MHz -3dB point and over 300MHz -6dB point.

Owon do not advertize it becouse it is still sold as 100MHz model. Due to 1GSa/s one channel and maximum 500MSa/s for two channel.  If use both channels there is Nyquist wall too close for really name it 200MHz oscilloscope. And same for Hantek! But Hnatek sell and advertize 200MHz model where maximum 2 channel samplerate is 500MSa/s. It is just borderline. It can do just 200MHz IF there is perfect sampling and perfect sinx/x function. (As described in one Agilent document)

So also Owon can not name real 200MHz 2 channel oscilloscope.

It was thinked as real time sampling. If we take repetitive sampling, it is differen case of course. Example 500MHz BW scope may do even 10MSa/s. Or even slower if trigger is good enough, signal is continuous and we have lot of time to collect samples.

But if look sampled signal quality Owon is better than factory made Hantek 100MHz with FW hack to 200MHz model.
Both have this same limit. 1Gsa/s or 500GSa/s.
With bigger memory Owon keeps this samplerate also with more slow horizntal speeds. 2 channel mode Owon have 10Msample for both channel. Hantek DSO5000B have around near 500k for both channels Also it need remember that Hantek have 800/400MSa/s and 1GSa/s (and 500MSa/s) is only some fastest timebases.
It is becouse there is 4+4 100MHz ADC and it overclocks these to 125MHz only if some fastest Horizointal speed is in use.(After 20ns/div if I remember right)

Test pictures with one new improved random unit.
(typical)
Note: Signal feed termination is just 50ohm feed thru terminator and it do not match perfect mainly becouse oscilloscope input is reactive load. (but new improved Owon have guite low input capacitance - somewhere typically around 10pF (Owon specs are, as typically, old. I do not understand these many chinese companies they do not update data as they do some changes or find some errors in specs)

to 100MHz

to 250MHz

Pulse. (this pulse itself risetime is around 1.3ns so it do not give real oscilloscope risetime but close)

500MHz sweep with FFT.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 01:21:46 pm by rf-loop »
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 01:29:26 pm »
Here also risetime measurement with around 70ps risetime pulse.
Pulse come from Tek 284.

First without persistence some typical shot.

Second no averaging and persistence on so that it can show all wobbling and other things as example trigger stability.

well... this is Owon "100MHz" cheap chinese.

What I really want.
Owon HW and Hantek UI.
But there is no.
So... just as in Hifi I select better sound, not machine what ahve more lights and adjustments. But it is my selection and it pass only to me.

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 03:28:29 pm »
Thanks for the in depth answer rf-loop

Would you be able to comment on the annoyances/problems with the owens featureset/user interface?

Cheers

alm

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2012, 03:42:52 pm »
And same for Hantek! But Hnatek sell and advertize 200MHz model where maximum 2 channel samplerate is 500MSa/s. It is just borderline. It can do just 200MHz IF there is perfect sampling and perfect sinx/x function. (As described in one Agilent document)
The most important parameter is the filter response. 2.5x sample rate should be fine with good interpolation and a brick wall filter response, but not with a Gaussian response. From your quoted -3dB and -6dB points, the Owon scopes appear to be closer to a Gaussian response, what about the Hantek?

What I really want.
Owon HW and Hantek UI.
But there is no.
So... just as in Hifi I select better sound, not machine what ahve more lights and adjustments. But it is my selection and it pass only to me.
That's not really a fair comparison, you use the UI of a scope all the time, as opposed to adjusting the volume on an amplifier. Both the UI and signal integrity are real issues. Plenty of products have failed in the market place due to UI, for example the early DSOs with UI designed as computers, not scopes. This is not just the difference between blue and red LEDs.

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 04:38:58 pm »
Decided to go with the owon because

can buy in australia $60 cheaper
after hantek brought out tekway they seem to be releaseing more bugs they they are solving. (though they are posting fw updates in forum to fix user issues)
higher res screen
sample rate at 1m memory depth is faster on owon apparently

mainly without actually having used one befor, i dont know what i should expect or what i want in a scope. so for now ill go with the cheaper of the 2.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf