Author Topic: Heat shunts/clips for soldering, and soldering sensitive components  (Read 3093 times)

Offline IdahoManTopic starter

• Regular Contributor

I don't like having heat or margnetic fields around electriclal devices, but you have to solder things. So, what are the best methods for protecting components (or anything) from the heat of soldering when you have to solder them? (or heatgun, flame, whatever even)

What about the use of heat/thermal-shunts (clips, alligator clips, needle-nose)*? What are the rules there, and has anyone ever done an experiment/video (using probes or FLIR) on where the heat actually goes, over a length(s) of time at certain applied temperatuers?

*Example:

"A small piece of beeswax may be placed between the protected unit and the heat shunt.
When the beeswax begins to melt, the temperature limit has been reached. The heat
source should be removed immediately, but the shunt should be left in place."

Offline oldway

• Super Contributor
  • !
Re: Heat shunts/clips for soldering, and soldering sensitive components
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 05:58:56 pm »
You can't safely solder or desolder a germanium transistor without it.
But it does not need to be a copper jaw, a long nose or a universal pliers do the job very well.

Offline jmelson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 06:07:38 pm »

I don't like having heat or margnetic fields around electriclal devices, but you have to solder things. So, what are the best methods for protecting components (or anything) from the heat of soldering when you have to solder them? (or heatgun, flame, whatever even)
Yes, as Oldway says, for germanium, you need it.  But, look at modern SMT components.  The whole board is heated to 250 C for several minutes, and 100% of components are expected to survive for the full life of the equipment after that!
I haven't used a heat sink clip when soldering since about 1965.

Jon

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 06:09:43 pm »
Something with copper or aluminium jaws would be ideal, but in practice steel usually does the trick. My favourite tool for this is the humble surgical hæmostat, aka forceps, available very cheaply on fleaBay or you favourite alternative online vendor.

Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Gregg

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 11:36:17 pm »
Here are some steel ready made tiny spring clips that work well.  They can be ground to finer points.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XCFPLVZ

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf