Author Topic: Help borrowing tools in the UK  (Read 2858 times)

Offline ZenoArrowTopic starter

Help borrowing tools in the UK
« on: July 01, 2011, 09:37:06 am »
Hi, new to the forum, but looks like I could have fun here.  :)

I'd like to ask for some advice. I've been trying to do some surface-mount soldering for a while, but I can't justify buying a temperature controlled soldering iron just for one job. I know it would be a good investment, but my funds are what they are.

What I was thinking is that it would be good just to hire one. I tried contacting my local hackerspace to see if I could sign up and share their tools (even offered to buy a mini-wave tip they could keep), but got no response. My question now is, are there any places in the UK that hire out electrical engineering tools? Places like Hirestation and HSS only seem to hire out tools to the building trade. If not, do I have any other options?

Thanks in advance for your advice. :D
Tom

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
Re: Help borrowing tools in the UK
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 12:15:41 pm »
Tom,there is a firm in Australia,called Tech Rentals,who rent out electronics stuff.
I think they are also in the UK,but I might be wrong,

They're not cheap,though! ;D

VK6ZGO

Offline FreeThinker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Truth through Thought
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 12:27:12 pm »
Just keep looking on Ebay.
Try looking for 'Spares or Repair'. You can sometimes find soldering stations for cheap that way. With a bit of work you can usually repair them and you are good to go.
Machines were mice and Men were lions once upon a time, but now that it's the opposite it's twice upon a time.
MOONDOG

Uncle Vernon

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 01:07:55 pm »
Tom,there is a firm in Australia,called Tech Rentals,who rent out electronics stuff.
I think they are also in the UK,but I might be wrong,

They're not cheap,though! ;D

VK6ZGO

Not cheap is an understatement.  It's not viable to rent anything worth less than a few grand. Two weekends rental would be line ball with the purchase price of small items.

I'd suggest if money is tight to read through the forum and find out a few of the less  tragic e-bay and online bargains, and also keep an eye out for good brand second hand stuff.

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 04:11:07 pm »
If you can't afford a real temperature controlled iron, connect a normal soldering iron to a lamp dimmer and adjust until it's slightly hotter than the solder's melting point. This is no substitute for the real thing as you'll need to increase the power to solder large items but it's fine for working with small parts.

Offline ZenoArrowTopic starter

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 10:23:46 pm »
Thanks to vk6zgo, FreeThinker, Uncle Vernon and Hero999 for the replies. I have decided to sell the devices I needed the SMT solder tools for (needed to solder extra RAM into a modded Xbox), but having the feedback I got here did help me make that decision (such a shame tool hire isn't a decent option). I'll certainly bear your suggestions in mind when I have money/time/space to invest in a decent range of EE tools.

Thanks again.
Tom

Offline Armin_Balija

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 10:28:05 pm »
Dave did a review on an OK for the price heat gun. It's an ATTEN 858D Hot Air Rework Station. There's a few threads about it on these boards. I haven't gotten to use it but I've heard something about the heating element inside the gun not being connected to ground..so be careful.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf