Author Topic: help identify smd capacitor  (Read 2557 times)

Offline .....Topic starter

• Contributor
help identify smd capacitor
« on: September 27, 2018, 09:44:24 pm »
i have got a graphics card with a smd capictor missing i would like to replace this cap to see if the card works (the card is a powermac g5 6800 ultra). i am not sure what the values are of the cap are though it is the same as the one next to it so i just need to get another-one of them.

thanks for any help

jack

Offline LukeB

• Contributor
Re: help identify smd capacitor
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2018, 11:32:12 am »
I am not the best at electronics and someone else will know better than me but why not try one that is the same as the one next to it? The only assumption I can make is that all of those with the same footprint seem the same so why wouldnt that one be the same??

The following users thanked this post: .....

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2018, 11:44:46 am »
Looks like 470uF 35V. I don't recognise the marking but you could try asking at badcaps.net

Online mariush

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2018, 12:05:42 pm »
I'd replace with polymer capacitors, anything between 270uF and 680uF and 16v rating.

There's a high chance the capacitors are Panasonic, they used to prefer that miniature negative bar. it's 470uF but I'm not sure it's 35v rating, the voltage rating could be the K after 35. If it's actually 35v rated, the only reason I see for them to use such high rating would be to get bigger volume capacitor and as side effect lower esr. So if you go with polymer capacitors which have lower esr than any electrolytic capacitor, you would be fine.

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2018, 03:44:11 pm »
thank you for all of the replies where would be the best place to buy news caps in the uk

thanks for the help

jack

• Contributor

Online mariush

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2018, 11:21:47 pm »
Those would probably work, but they would not be the best choice.

You have Farnell in UK, and their "retail" store, cpc.farnell.com , which sells in small quantities to regular people.

If you don't care about the visual look, you can use these regular through hole capacitors, the FM series from Panasonic is very good for computer parts: https://cpc.farnell.com/panasonic-electronic-components/eeufm1e471l/capacitor-radial-470uf-25v/dp/CA07426

You can simply bend the leads, tin them with a bit of solder and then solder them to the pads on the circuit boards. Try to keep the leads as small as possible (less than 1cm ideally) 

If you want to look nice, you can buy the FK series from panasonic in smd format from same store, just check datasheet to make sure the distance between the metal contacts is the same as on your card  (footprint/distance varies with capacitance+voltage rating and overall volume of capacitor): https://cpc.farnell.com/w/c/electronic-electrical-components/capacitors/aluminium-electrolytic-capacitors/smd-aluminium-electrolytic-capacitors?capacitance=470uf|680uf

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2018, 11:37:40 pm »
thank you for the very useful reply i think i will get the smd as i feel it will be easier to solder on

i will keep this thread updated with my progress incase people are interested

thanks

jack

Online mariush

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2018, 01:08:16 am »
It's actually easier and overall safer (leaded capacitors are more reliable in general than SMD capacitors).

See this video to see how easy it is, jump to 10:30 to see how you can solder leaded capacitors:

Offline LukeB

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2018, 01:29:29 am »
do you have a soldering air station? I would go with a leaded one.

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2018, 10:43:22 am »
using normal capacitors looks quite easy so i will order some and see how it goes

thanks for the help

jack

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf