Author Topic: Help identifying ceramic bead diode?  (Read 786 times)

Offline cowboyTopic starter

Help identifying ceramic bead diode?
« on: June 22, 2021, 07:09:43 pm »
This appears to be a diode, and tests out as one, if you look closely at the photo (diode shown with yellow arrow pointing to it), you will see a dull grey stripe near the black end of the diode (between the blue dot and black area).

The diode I am trying to identify the type and parameters of, is identical to this one, except that the grey stripe is black. (it shattered after a short) - It has the same 4 blue dots in the white area - but like the one photographed, no numbers or letters on it. So identical to photo, except black stripe rather than faint grey stripe, near black end, and 4 blue dots in the white area. Found on Nissan engine computer.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 12:52:32 pm by cowboy »

Offline Benta

• Super Contributor
Re: Help identifying ceramic bead diode?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2021, 07:50:37 pm »
Not ceramic, but sintered glass. Very reliable and typically used in automotive applications.

Check out vishay.com you'll probably find the right diode/rectifier there.

The following users thanked this post: cowboy

Offline TimNJ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2021, 11:21:15 pm »
Package is SOD-57 or SOD-64. Strange that there are no markings. I think Vishay is the primary manufacturer of this style diode and I'm pretty sure they've always printed the P/N on the body.

How about on the under-side of the diode on the board? If it's a short P/N like BYV26C, could be hidden on the bottom.

The following users thanked this post: cowboy

Offline cowboyTopic starter

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2021, 02:22:30 am »
OK, took some measurements with digital caliper, measures too large to be SOD-57 package, so that leaves SOD-64

So I came up with these candidates:

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/filter/diodes-rectifiers-single/280?s=N4IgjCBcpgbFoDGUBmBDANgZwKYBoQB7KAbRABYAGcgDlgGYQBdAgBwBcoQBldgJwCWAOwDmIAL4EwAJgCcEaCGSR02fEVIVqdSiAJVasaczadIPfsLGSQAWmOLl-AK7rikMgFZmN2wqSomLgE7mSwlBHS8FIyPjbeiqxQYGxJkGARNvCKAgAmXH6UjKZceiDsAJ6sOFy5WMji4kA

but which one, and is it avalanche type or standard?

This circuit board is from the 1990's, I am thinking that the 4 blue dots + the black stripe probably would probably tell the specifications, if someone know how to decode that.  Still no part number found, and ECU's are proprietary, no schematics available is the norm.

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2021, 03:42:49 am »
The black stripe is not distinctive, the blue dots are.
As the above poster remarks, have you checked the underside?

Offline RayRay

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2021, 11:25:27 pm »
but which one, and is it avalanche type or standard?
The diode in thc pic is definitely avalanche/sinterglass (these terms are interchangable, and refer to the same thing)
But you can't just wing it and stick whatever diode in there! What exact product (make/model) does the board belong to? Does the board have any identifying numbers on it (I.E part number) either printed directly on it or on a sticker?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf