Author Topic: Help picking a replacement for outdated voltage regulator?  (Read 1242 times)

Offline Mp3Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Help picking a replacement for outdated voltage regulator?
« on: April 19, 2020, 08:35:37 am »
When I was reading the datasheet for TI PCM2902 (obsolete), Figure 37 on page 28 gives an example with an external voltage reference. The circuit references an obsolete TI regulator "REG103-A". Pin 10 of PCM2902 needs something like 3.6-4.0V to override its internal voltage reference.

http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/pcm2902.pdf

https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/reg103.pdf

I'm considering TI TPS79501DCQR to use instead, since it has adjustable voltage (can set it to something nice like 3.8v), correct output current, otherwise looks correct. But it requires a 1uf ceramic capacitor for stability. Some different REG103 models are still for sale, but they are almost 3x as expensive. http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tps795.pdf

If I use that TPS795 regulator instead of REG103, set it for 3.6-3.8V, i simply put the 1μF ceramic cap and diode between the output pin of TPS795 and pin 10 of PCM2902?

Many thanks!
High school graduate

Offline Mp3Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Help picking a replacement for outdated voltage regulator?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2020, 08:48:36 am »
PCM2902 is a POS to begin with. Why bother with an external reference?
If you don't use it for audio (you need a cheap virtual DMM, for instance), I'll just use a bias current source (PNP+diodes+resistors) and a TLV431 or a cheap adjustable series regulator.

I didn't even think of using it for a virtual dmm.... that is a really cool idea.

I know PCM2902 is a POS, but i still like how it sounds and i want to try see what happens with a proper voltage reference.
High school graduate

Offline Mp3Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2020, 09:08:14 am »
Is this correct to integrate a 1uF capacitor for regulator stability into this circuit? (My additions in red)

High school graduate

Offline Mp3Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2020, 09:46:18 am »
Is this correct to integrate a 1uF capacitor for regulator stability into this circuit? (My additions in red)

(Attachment Link)

Why your OUT goes nowhere but to the single cap?

I thought the OUT goes into the 1uf cap, then the 1uf cap goes to both C1 and the 22 k-Ohm resistor.
High school graduate

Offline Mp3Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2020, 10:15:40 am »
I thought the OUT goes into the 1uf cap, then the 1uf cap goes to both C1 and the 22 k-Ohm resistor.

Then you are blocking DC, which is what a reference voltage is.

I think I understand. Is this correct?

973388-0
High school graduate

Offline Mp3Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2020, 06:09:04 am »
I think I understand. Is this correct?

Yes -- providing it doesn't oscillate. Whether your regulator is MLCC stable or not depends on the chip and I have no idea.

Thank you very much for your help. I apologize for the stupid question, but it IS the beginners forum. By MLCC stable, does that mean it's stable as long as it has a MLCC in the circuit of correct capacitance?
High school graduate

Offline Siwastaja

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2020, 09:49:43 am »
If at all possible, always pick a modern regulator whose datasheet brags about "stable with ceramic output capacitor" and explicitly specifies no minimum value for ESR. Some regulators require hundreds of milliohms, even several ohms of resistance in series with the output capacitor, meaning either a MLCC+explicit resistor series combo, or a tantalum capacitor, which internally provides the ESR.

The following users thanked this post: Mp3

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf