Author Topic: Help understanding part of a circuit  (Read 1103 times)

Offline uk.casmithTopic starter

• Contributor
Help understanding part of a circuit
« on: September 08, 2018, 08:36:46 am »
Hi,

I'm following a book of electronics and I don't really understand what the author means:

"This arrangement works because I have used a capacitor, C4, to connect the output of IC7 to the reset of IC6. The capacitor communicates the sudden change from positive to negative, but the reset of the time it blocks the steady voltage from IC7 so that it won't interfere with IC6"

Can someone explain this further to me please.

FYI:

C4 = 0.1uF,
R10  = 1k
IC7 = 555 timer
IC6 = 555 timer.

Thanks

Online xavier60

• Super Contributor
Re: Help understanding part of a circuit
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2018, 01:45:26 pm »
Hi,

I'm following a book of electronics and I don't really understand what the author means:

"This arrangement works because I have used a capacitor, C4, to connect the output of IC7 to the reset of IC6. The capacitor communicates the sudden change from positive to negative, but the reset of the time it blocks the steady voltage from IC7 so that it won't interfere with IC6"

FYI:

C4 = 0.1uF,
R10  = 1k
IC7 = 555 timer
IC6 = 555 timer.

Thanks
The words " but the reset of the time it blocks the steady voltage from IC7" are difficult to understand. I think that he is trying to tell us that the steady state on IC7 pin 3 is not continuously applied to IC6 pin4.  When IC7 pin 3 goes low, this transition is coupled by C4 to IC6 pin4 causing it to pulse low. R10 then charges the bottom end of C4 back up to + rail voltage.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 01:47:06 pm by xavier60 »
HP 54645A dso, Fluke 87V dmm,  Agilent U8002A psu,  FY6600 function gen,  Brymen BM857S, HAKKO FM-204, New! HAKKO FX-971.

The following users thanked this post: uk.casmith

Online rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2018, 01:48:24 pm »
Looking at the pinout for a 555, we see that pin 4 (of the lower IC) is Reset.
The capacitor/resistor forms a differentiator circuit which puts out a pulse (not a level) when the input is changed.  The pulse will go high on the rising edge of a signal and low on a falling edge.  This is what we want, a brief low going pulse to reset the lower 555.  You can see that pin 4 is held high through the resistor so the only thing the capacitor can do is pull is low.  And that is exactly what it takes to reset the timer!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/555_timer_IC

You can see waveforms for various ratios of R to C about half way down this page.  We're looking for the 0.1 RC or less (I'm guessing, without doing the math)

https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/rc/rc-differentiator.html

Online rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2018, 01:51:50 pm »
Hi,

"This arrangement works because I have used a capacitor, C4, to connect the output of IC7 to the reset of IC6. The capacitor communicates the sudden change from positive to negative, but the resetREST of the time it blocks the steady voltage from IC7 so that it won't interfere with IC6"

FYI:

C4 = 0.1uF,
R10  = 1k
IC7 = 555 timer
IC6 = 555 timer.

Thanks

I fixed a typo in the quoted text.  "...but the REST of the time..."

Offline uk.casmithTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2018, 09:38:22 am »
Thanks for everyone's help with this. I'm going to read the link that was provided it's a little over my head but i'll try reading from the beginning.

Cheers,

Online rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2018, 05:24:24 pm »
The short answer:  When the upper timer output drops to 0V, the differentiator generates a very brief low going pulse to reset the lower timer.  It's the falling edge that causes the pulse.

All you need to know is that the lower timer reset pin is held high by the resistor and pulled low by the pulse from the capacitor.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf