Author Topic: Help with new DMM  (Read 25466 times)

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
Re: Help with new DMM
« Reply #75 on: July 10, 2013, 06:26:17 pm »
The Rigol's specs aren't even all that impressive, for a new bench DMM. If you really need that much accuracy and precision, buy a used-in-good-condition Fluke or HP and ask permission to bring it to school and compare it to the good ones in the lab.
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76 on: July 10, 2013, 06:31:57 pm »
As I recall, our friend is not in an EE program, he is studying Computer Engineering and doing the electronics side as more of a hobby.

Offline zorthgoTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #77 on: July 10, 2013, 06:40:02 pm »
@IanB, you are correct. I am finishing both my CE and CS programs this fall. But the reason I took up this hobby is because I wan't to work with digital hardware (where I can use my programming skills as well as working with HW), so I've decided to change my master's enrollment to EE. Correct me if I am wrong, but from all I've read, most of the designing jobs (even digital one) usually goes to EE majors. :(
Slow and steady wins the race!

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78 on: July 10, 2013, 06:51:50 pm »
@zorthgo: Don't take this the wrong way, but based on where you are now and where you want to go, you have quite a mountain to climb. Your technical knowledge evidenced in this thread is very weak for a college student.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #79 on: July 10, 2013, 07:06:09 pm »
I understand what you are saying. That is because as a CE student the only time I have come in contact with analog circuits was when I took Electronics Lab I. We don't need to take all those other classes. But I've spoken to the E.E. advisor, and I will have to take an additional 4 classes to be able to get an EE masters degree. If I remember correctly they are Electronics II, Electromagnetic Fields and Waves, Control Systems 1, and I can't remember the other. Right now, my specialty is not analog circuits. Put me in front of a MP and some digital sensors and I am gold; ask me to program you a game, or a simulation no problem; as me to make RGB lights light up, and I might set something on fire (for now). Like everything else, I just need to play around with this stuff so I can match the theory with actual hands on practice (at least that is my theory).

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #80 on: July 10, 2013, 08:00:44 pm »
A bench meter is nice if everything you want to measure is on the bench..... They also cost much more than a handheld. You can by to really nice handheld meters, safe ones, for the price of a decent bench meter.

Want to measure the power rails on a computer sitting in a room? Well you disconnect everything can drag the computer out to the bench or you can just carry you handheld meter over to the computer. Need to measure something in your car? Something in your home theatre wiring? You get the idea. I am not saying that bench meters don't have their place but the name implies what they are for.

It is better to have two reliable meters so that you can measure voltage and current too. Seeing as the OP doesn't have a good handle on some safety aspects of using  meter the meter better help out and be a very safe meter. My previous recommendations take care of this consideration.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #81 on: July 11, 2013, 02:25:12 am »
@Lightages: Yeah, I've bought the two handheld already anyways. Too late to go back even if I wanted to. Besides, from what I've gathered from you guys for now I won't be needing anything that it can't do! :)

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #82 on: July 11, 2013, 03:00:57 am »
A bench meter is nice if everything you want to measure is on the bench.....

I guess it depends on what you do, but I generally find that it works well enough for me to just keep one handheld DMM around for the rare time when I want to move it. Otherwise my bench is stocked with a number of bench DMMs, which I find much more convenient for bench use to just keep on the shelf and use in place.

I wouldn't buy one new, though, at least for home use. Mine are all used.
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf