Author Topic: High Gain MMIC AMP  (Read 309 times)

Online Wallace GasiewiczTopic starter

• Super Contributor
High Gain MMIC AMP
« on: February 26, 2024, 09:02:18 pm »
I am looking for a very high gain MMIC to amplify -50 dBm signal at 420 MHZ by maybe 30 dB.  Are there any such devices?

Offline CaptDon

• Super Contributor
Re: High Gain MMIC AMP
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2024, 09:55:57 pm »
I should think some wideband devices fitting that description should be easy to find. -50 is way up out of the noise floor so you don't need a super low noise figure and adding 30Db of gain you are still at -20 so it isn't exactly a power device either. I am certain readily available prepackaged devices with SMA connectors exist. Seems like bare MMIC's would be available. 1 50 ohm input lead, 1 50 ohm output lead which gets D.C. power through a choke and a grounded body / substrate. I wonder if any of the wideband devices rated for +10 to +30 DBm would work for you? They are certainly made. Up to 40Db gain blocks.
Collector and repairer of vintage and not so vintage electronic gadgets and test equipment. What's the difference between a pizza and a musician? A pizza can feed a family of four!! Classically trained guitarist. Sound engineer.

Online Wallace GasiewiczTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2024, 10:06:40 pm »
I have already used a RF MMIC board and another board with a MAR 6 to achieve this. The signal is minus 70 dBm and I need to bring it up to 20 dBm. I cannot identify the MMIC on the board. It looks like something from ebay and has no identifying marks on it., it looks like a MAR but has much higher gain. I got the board with some other junk and have no idea where it is from really.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2024, 10:10:06 pm by Wallace Gasiewicz »

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2024, 11:35:44 pm »
Mini Circuits has several devices with > 30 dB gain and -1 dB compression at > + 20 dBm.
minicircuits.com  browse through their huge catalog

Offline JXstaystonight

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2024, 02:47:55 am »
HMC8410 from Analog Devices. It's a GaAs pHEMT MMIC amplifier offering very high gain and low noise figure in the frequency range up to 10 GHz.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf