Author Topic: Is this battery life estimate correct?  (Read 1839 times)

Offline XOIIOTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Is this battery life estimate correct?
« on: November 14, 2013, 10:37:37 pm »
Alright so I've never really tried this before and maybe I did something totally wrong, who knows but it seems about right, if I have a circuit that uses 60ma, powered by a 9v battery which I've seen online has a capacity of 500mah, it should run for approximately 8 hours, right?

Offline con-f-use

• Supporter
Re: Is this battery life estimate correct?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 10:44:43 pm »
That is correct for a first estimate. No black magic to it. Though the voltage will drop before that, causing the circuit to fail. So it depends on what exactly the battery powers. Test your circuit's min. operating voltage. consult the datasheet of your battery. There should be a diagram detailing the voltage drop.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 10:49:55 pm by con-f-use »

Offline XOIIOTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 10:48:22 pm »
That is correct. No black magic to it. Though the voltage will drop causing the circuit to fail before that, depending on what exactly the battery powers. Test your circuits min. operation voltage and consult the datasheet of your battery. There should be a diagram detailing the voltage drop.

well, I don't think there is a datasheet for my cheapo dollar store Panasonic battery lol, but thanks.

Offline con-f-use

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 10:52:21 pm »
Even cheap batteries use the same chemistry and are standardised. Find a comparable data sheet.

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 11:11:01 pm »
Take a look at this datasheet for a standard 9 V alkaline battery, for example:

http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/522.pdf

According to the constant current performance chart, you would get about 7 hours life at 60 mA drain down to 6 V.

As others have said, the similarities between different brands of alkaline battery are greater than the differences.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf