Author Topic: Holdoff does not work Siglent SDS814X HD  (Read 815 times)

Online eTobeyTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Holdoff does not work Siglent SDS814X HD
« on: March 29, 2024, 10:47:16 am »
Hi,

i can not achieve a stable trigger  with the holdoff time. I followed the manual, but it still wont work.
What do i wrong? The trigger is jumping all over the place.

Edit:
A restart did not help.

Interestingly, after trying to achieve the same with pulse trigger mode. The edge trigger worked afterwards.

Edit 2:
Found out, that, while moving the trigger level, the holdoff works!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 06:58:52 pm by eTobey »
"Sometimes, after talking with a person, you want to pet a dog, wave at a monkey, and take off your hat to an elephant." (Maxim Gorki)

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
Re: Holdoff does not work Siglent SDS814X HD
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2024, 01:50:57 pm »
Hmm -- this is baffling. Trigger Holdoff does indeed not work for me either, reproducibly, under pretty simple conditions. Please see the attached screenshot.

Test signal has 100 µs bursts of a 100 kHz sine-wave, at 1 ms intervals, coming from an SDG2042. I have set the holdoff time to 200 µs -- longer than the burst duration, shorter than the interval, which should get stable edge triggering at the first edge of each burst. Shown in the screenshot with 1 second persistence time to make some of the false triggers visible.

The scope does seem to respect the holdoff time as it should: When I measure the waveform update rate via Trigger-Out and an external counter, it drops as I increase the holdoff time. At very long holdoff times (say 200 ms), the frame rate drops to where you would expect it to be (5 Hz). But I can't get stable triggering. What am I overlooking?!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 01:57:48 pm by ebastler »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2024, 02:12:20 pm »
Are we both doing something wrong?

Have you loaded my setupfile?

I would not think, that a A$ 880 scope would have such an issue.
"Sometimes, after talking with a person, you want to pet a dog, wave at a monkey, and take off your hat to an elephant." (Maxim Gorki)

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2024, 05:27:57 pm »
I did not use your setup; started from the Default settings to get a clean start.
My setup.xml is attached.

Edit: Replaced the setup.xml with a revised version. I had played with the settings in the meantime, so the stored settings included Auto triggering. Set back to Normal now, for consistency with the screenshots above. Auto vs. Normal does not make a difference in trigger stability here.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 05:35:19 pm by ebastler »

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2024, 08:57:18 am »
I did not use your setup; started from the Default settings to get a clean start.

Edit: Replaced the setup.xml with a revised version. I had played with the settings in the meantime, so the stored settings included Auto triggering. Set back to Normal now, for consistency with the screenshots above. Auto vs. Normal does not make a difference in trigger stability here.

I can confirm this bug. 

SDS824X HD, FW 1.1.3.3

Started from factory defaults,
100kHz sine, 600mVpp, 10 cycle bursts, 1ms burst period. Scope set after default: t/div 200us/div (and Ch1 100mV/div) Trigger (Rising Edge) Holdoff time 200us
Result: Trigger holdoff fails.

Same with several different signals and setups - fails.
Simultaneously made all same tests with SDS3104X HD  and all works just perfectly rock solid.

Now only started stopwatch for measure time how long it takes before it is fixed (Siglent know it).
« Last Edit: March 31, 2024, 09:16:20 am by rf-loop »
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2024, 11:13:29 am »

I can confirm this bug. 

SDS824X HD, FW 1.1.3.3

Started from factory defaults,
100kHz sine, 600mVpp, 10 cycle bursts, 1ms burst period. Scope set after default: t/div 200us/div (and Ch1 100mV/div) Trigger (Rising Edge) Holdoff time 200us
Result: Trigger holdoff fails.

Same with several different signals and setups - fails.
Simultaneously made all same tests with SDS3104X HD  and all works just perfectly rock solid.

Now only started stopwatch for measure time how long it takes before it is fixed (Siglent know it).

I confirm too. Also confirm it is 800 specific.

Offline BillyO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2024, 12:14:48 am »
Does Siglent monitor this sub-forum?

It maybe a good idea to start a thread or add this to a thread over on the TE sub-forum.
Bill  (Currently a Siglent fanboy)
--------------------------------------------------
Want to see an old guy fumble around re-learning a career left 40 years ago?  Well, look no further .. https://www.youtube.com/@uni-byte

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2024, 05:21:46 am »
It maybe a good idea to start a thread or add this to a thread over on the TE sub-forum.

I already did, but the fanboys didnt like that.  :palm:

Offline BillyO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2024, 01:39:36 pm »
I already did, but the fanboys didnt like that.  :palm:

Well you have agreement from a couple of the more respected folks in the TE section.  I'll send a PM to tautech to let him know about this thread.
Bill  (Currently a Siglent fanboy)
--------------------------------------------------
Want to see an old guy fumble around re-learning a career left 40 years ago?  Well, look no further .. https://www.youtube.com/@uni-byte

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2024, 01:54:21 pm »
There's already a link back to this thread from the main SDS800X HD bug/feature thread. So I think we are in good shape, and I trust that tautech has seen this too. He should be aware of this glitch since he is quite fond of using and recommending trigger holdoff! ;)

The following users thanked this post: BillyO

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2024, 02:43:30 pm »
There's already a link back to this thread from the main SDS800X HD bug/feature thread. So I think we are in good shape, and I trust that tautech has seen this too. He should be aware of this glitch since he is quite fond of using and recommending trigger holdoff! ;)

It was reported to Siglent allready..

The following users thanked this post: tautech, ebastler, BillyO

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf