Author Topic: Looking for small SMD aluminium elektrolyte cap or replacement  (Read 2318 times)

Offline malightcommanderTopic starter

Looking for small SMD aluminium elektrolyte cap or replacement
« on: October 04, 2016, 10:36:18 am »
Hi everyone,

I have recently acquired a bunch of old movingheads (a type of lighting equipment that is generally used for professional concert and theatre use). These lights have seen a lot of use and quire a lot of them are in need of repair. Luckily I got hold of the service manual for this piece of equipment (Vari-Lite VL2000 wash) and the service manual is referring to a couple of technical bulletins, describing modifications that were made during the lifetime of the product and how older lights can be improved by doing these modifications.

Please see the following technical bulletin: http://www.vari-lite.com/clientuploads/directory/downloads/s2k-023.pdf

They advice to replace 35v SMD capacitors with a 50v type. I have one light with a shorted capacitor on the board mentioned in this document (capacitor C23), so I'm thinking it would be a good idea to also replace the SMD capacitors as mentioned by the service documentation.

However, they are referring to replacing the capacitor with an aluminium electrolyte type, however none of the large vendors over here (Farnell, RS components, Mouser, etc.) seem to offer a suitable case type.

So here's my question: does anyone know of a readily available (and good quality) SMD aluminium electrolyte capacitor of 10?F/50V that will fit (current case size is 7.3mm by 4.3mm "case size D"). I have found a substitute capacitor that would fit, but it is a tantalum type. I think this should not really be a problem, except that tantalum is relatively expensive, at about €1,- each considering that I need to replace more than 100 capacitors.
edit: I'm talking about C1, C2, C8 and C16 on the board.

Just fitting in a regular through hole part is an option of course, but I think it is undesirable, given the fact that these lights are continuously rotating, so this will give a lot of stress to the components on these boards... Something that withstands a lot of vibration and shocks is preferable.

Attached is a photo of the component side of the board.

Any suggestions are welcome.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 12:19:55 pm by malightcommander »

Offline ElektroQuark

• Supporter
    • ElektroQuark
Re: Looking for small SMD aluminium elektrolyte cap or replacement
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 10:43:42 am »
CLICK!

Those are 4mm, the 5mm ones will fit too.

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 11:39:24 am »
Hi EdoNork,

Thank you for your reply. I am a bit afraid that with this type I have to lengthen the pins to the solder pads quite a bit. Since these can types are relatively high, this will put quite some stress on the solder joints.

Or do you think I'm worrying too much? Does anyone know of any alternatives or is the can type casing the only way to go?

Offline ElektroQuark

• Supporter
    • ElektroQuark
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2016, 12:04:33 pm »
The ones I suggested are identical to those on the board, but of a higher voltage, you don't have to modify the leads.
I think I don't fully understand what are you talking about... ?

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2016, 12:16:31 pm »
Hi EdoNark,

Ah, I see the confusion, my bad. :)

We're talking about C1, C2, C8 and C16 here. As you can see, they are not of a can type. You were probably looking at C23, which I talked about as some background info. Sorry about that.

Offline ElektroQuark

• Supporter
    • ElektroQuark
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2016, 01:53:21 pm »
Here then. Those are tantalum capacitors.

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2016, 01:56:49 pm »
Yep, as I said in my first post, that was the option I considered. I was just hoping whether anyone would have a better/other suggestion.  :)

Offline ElektroQuark

• Supporter
    • ElektroQuark
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2016, 06:46:51 pm »
Sorry, too much coffee today.

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2016, 09:44:14 am »
All right, I think I will go with this tantalum capacitor, unless anyone has got another suggestion?

http://nl.rs-online.com/web/p/products/6843910P/

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf