Author Topic: How compact can you make a component storage area?  (Read 916 times)

Offline bigfoot22Topic starter

• Contributor
  • !
How compact can you make a component storage area?
« on: December 05, 2022, 08:28:46 pm »
deleted
« Last Edit: February 11, 2023, 02:45:52 am by bigfoot22 »
Cherish the ones you love the most.

Offline Grandchuck

• Frequent Contributor
Re: How compact can you make a component storage area?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2022, 10:03:56 pm »
Looks good.  I saw that the dividers are removable for larger parts.  How many do you think you will need?

The following users thanked this post: bigfoot22

Online Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2022, 12:12:55 am »
If you don't mind wrapping anything ESD sensitive in aluminum foil those will do well enough for ICs and smaller through-hole parts if you put a very thin sheet of foam under the lid to stop small parts jumping compartments.

SMD parts are best left in their tape and put in purpose designed pockets in a binder.   

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2022, 01:08:04 am »
For SMD, thousands of parts will fit into a single A4 sized binder, as Ian said.

https://www.eevblog.com/product/usleeve/
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline ledtester

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2022, 01:53:33 am »
I store a lot of components in "white literature mailers":

1656385-0

in which I have added dividers like in this pic:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/resistor-kit/msg3578649/#msg3578649

The ones I use are 2 inches high, but you can get them in a wide assortment of dimensions. I like them because I can stack them and I can organize the inside in a variety of ways.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2022, 01:31:52 pm by ledtester »

The following users thanked this post: RJSV, bigfoot22

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2022, 04:01:41 am »
floor area has never been smaller, i have to carefully walk through, esp if you have bigfoot, so the only way to expand, is by going up on the z-axis... so i have to make sure what i bought is gain stable on that axis..
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline RJSV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2022, 05:22:00 am »
   If you can spend the extra ca$h, and go elaborate, I keep thinking, how about a rotating hanger-like set-up, very vertical, at 6 foot tall, or more, similar to a rotating suit rack.

That's where you've got one suit there to grab, with perhaps another near.  Then, an easy rotate to access whatever (dress or suit) you can see...only a similar thing with a bit of depth, for the small drawers.

Not to mean that you make the thing, more like some 'storage' system a jewelry store or pharmacy would pay extra for, and use heavily.
This suggested approach might not be immediately practical...But keep an eye out, when you go into a pharmacy, pawn shop, etc.

What, does an online IC vendor XYZ have for the myriad of small parts ?

Offline TomWinTejas

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2022, 07:44:16 am »
I'm in the midst of organizing my components and tools and tried many options and so far I like using drawers with bags and envelopes best.  I am quite the beginner, so I may have assessed the ESD risk incorrectly, but I put what seems to be ESD tolerant components in #3 coin envelopes and ESD sensitive components in 2"x3" anti-static bags.  I label them and then organize them into categories so they're hopefully easier to find when I need them.

I'm playing around with Grist to create a component database so I can keep track of exactly what I've got on hand along with things like the component package and a local copy of the datasheet.  It'll also help point me to where I've got it stored.

Online donlisms

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2022, 01:32:09 am »
I agree with bags.  Get the right ones, of course.

When I look at storage or packing, whether it's parts or the closet or a car, I look at how much air there is.  Wasted space.  Even a small drawer or flip-lid case with a few parts thrown in the bottom is fairly low efficiency.

With bags, you can stuff the whole drawer (or plastic bin, in my case) full of parts that don't get all mixed together, and hardly any air.  Often a set of small bags get grouped in a larger bag.

The downside, of course, is that it takes longer to get stuff out. Not that much, though - I can a bigger bag of 5ppm resistors, take it to the bench, and easily find the ones I need.

Upside -- much more flexible "grouping", and very little wasted space. 

Offline bostonman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2022, 04:29:17 am »
Are these components you use often?

I have a wide assortment of components, very few I use often (but I also don't tinker with electronic projects daily - mainly repairs), so what I do is keep an Excel sheet of component inventory and store them in in plastic totes.

Some component types I combine such as diodes and inductors since I don't have many and an entire tote would be a waste (although my component inventory has grown enough that I don't have room in a few totes).

In any case, it began as having collected components and tossing them in boxes until realizing I couldn't find anything when needed; or know what I had. Eventually I spent a day with many bags of components all over the floor sorting them by type.

The Excel sheet is a combination of sloppy and informative. It began as a rough list which has since expanded. Now I have the general component name, part number, company, volt rating, current rating, and, why I have it which sparks a memory on what it actually is. Maybe I bought it to repair a specific item, so I'll make a general few word note.

Although the components are not easily accessible because they are not in plastic organizers, I can at least look on a spreadsheet, click on the associated tab (such as diode), look at which part numbers I have, or maybe current rating (should that tab include current), and then dive into the tote to find the component (which should be in a static bag, a roll, etc...).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf