Author Topic: How do I boost the audio output?  (Read 2106 times)

Offline EpovoTopic starter

• Contributor
How do I boost the audio output?
« on: January 20, 2024, 06:43:23 pm »
I recently bought a wireless microphone. The receiver has a jack and I plugged into the AUX input of my soundbar. The problem I have is, that even with the receiver knob to the max and the soundbar to the max as well, the sound is not too loud.
So I thought I needed some amplification; not much, maybe 5X. I went ahead and made a simple one-transistor amplifier following the attached circuit. The amp works fine when driving an 8 ohm speaker. But if I insert it into the line from my receiver to the AUX input, I can't hear anything. Not that I am susprised - the circuit was never designed for that purpose. But I don't know what else to try. Any help would be appreciated-

Offline BeBuLamar

• Super Contributor
Re: How do I boost the audio output?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2024, 07:19:17 pm »
An OP amp would work.

The following users thanked this post: Epovo

Offline BillyO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2024, 09:25:12 pm »
That "amplifier" is just about as wrong as you can get.  The input impedance will be extremely low and the distortion would be crazy.  Look up a simple class AB design and use a properly configured class A pre-amplifier.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2024, 09:32:04 pm by BillyO »
Bill  (Currently a Siglent fanboy)
--------------------------------------------------
Want to see an old guy fumble around re-learning a career left 40 years ago?  Well, look no further .. https://www.youtube.com/@uni-byte

Offline schmitt trigger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2024, 09:35:34 pm »
Additionally, the poor speaker would have its cone permanently halfway or more out, due to the DC current flowing thru it.

Offline MarkT

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2024, 10:32:13 pm »
My take on a single stage line-level transistor amp:

on reflection C1 can be larger like 2ยต2 for better bass.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2024, 10:34:05 pm by MarkT »

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2024, 01:07:28 pm »
I think I will try the OP amp solution. Thank you all

Offline BillyO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2024, 03:10:12 pm »
It won't work.  If you drive that transistor of yours with an op-amp you will only end up basically shorting it out.  Most op-amps will deliver only a few mA (maybe 39 or so) and it will not do anything to improve the situation as mentioned above.

There is a reason amplifiers are designed the way they are and it's because that's what you need to do to get them to work. :scared:
Want to see an old guy fumble around re-learning a career left 40 years ago?  Well, look no further .. https://www.youtube.com/@uni-byte

Online langwadt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2024, 03:23:04 pm »
It won't work.  If you drive that transistor of yours with an op-amp you will only end up basically shorting it out.  Most op-amps will deliver only a few mA (maybe 39 or so) and it will not do anything to improve the situation as mentioned above.

There is a reason amplifiers are designed the way they are and it's because that's what you need to do to get them to work. :scared:

did you even read the OP? an opamp would be perfectly fine for ~5x gain for a line input

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2024, 03:25:46 pm »
No, you misunderstood. I'm gonna get rid of that amplifier, that I should have never built. I am going to insert the OP amp between the output of the receiver and the  AUX input of my soundbar.

Offline BillyO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2024, 03:27:27 pm »
did you even read the OP? an opamp would be perfectly fine for ~5x gain for a line input

You see this working do you?   Did you look at his circuit?

Offline BillyO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2024, 03:28:29 pm »
No, you misunderstood. I'm gonna get rid of that amplifier, that I should have never built. I am going to insert the OP amp between the output of the receiver and the  AUX input of my soundbar.
Okay, that sounds better. Yes, I did misunderstand.

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2024, 05:56:24 pm »
I used an op amp t741 in the configuration on the image below, but the output does not look good (input is a sine wave) (see attached image). Other than an op amp malfunction, I don't know what else could that be...?

Offline BillyO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2024, 05:58:13 pm »
Are you running it off a single supply?

Your input signal is pure AC so you will either have to use a split supply or create a virtual ground at Vcc/2.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2024, 06:00:12 pm by BillyO »

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2024, 05:59:35 pm »
Yes I am... :-\

Offline BillyO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2024, 06:00:38 pm »

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2024, 06:03:48 pm »
thank you so much. I'll do that the virtual GND thing

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2024, 07:10:49 pm »
In addition to the other criticisms of the original schematic, C1 is backwards and will be biased with 0.6V of the wrong polarity. If it doesn't damage the capacitor, it will introduce more distortion.

I would suggest using an amplifier IC such as the LM386, if this hasn't been recommended already. I admit, I'm in a rush so haven't had time to read the entire thread.
https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm386.pdf

Online langwadt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2024, 08:31:26 pm »
In addition to the other criticisms of the original schematic, C1 is backwards and will be biased with 0.6V of the wrong polarity. If it doesn't damage the capacitor, it will introduce more distortion.

I would suggest using an amplifier IC such as the LM386, if this hasn't been recommended already. I admit, I'm in a rush so haven't had time to read the entire thread.
https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm386.pdf

no point in a poweramp and to do ~5x gain of a mic/line signal

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2024, 11:41:19 pm »
Alright I've had a bit more time to read the thread properly now.

There are different types of amplifiers. The type used to drive a speaker, is a power amplifier, whilst the type you need to boost the signal a bit for a sound bar is a small single amplifier.

The op-amp solution will work, but it needs to be biased to half the supply voltage and the signal coupled by capacitors.

Below are a collection of op-amp circuits showing the dual and single supply configurations. The original poster needs the top right one.

Oh I forgot to ask: is it run of a battery, which isn't powering anything else, i.e. a really smooth power supply? If so, the circuit can be simplified a bit, but I'll have to post it later, as I don't have time now.

The following users thanked this post: YurkshireLad

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2024, 04:54:31 pm »
Thank you all for your help. I am using the simplest one, which I attach. For R1 and R2 I am using a 10K potentiometer.

Using a signal generator (the audio ouput of my laptop) I can see the circuit amplifying in the amount I desire by adjusting the potentiomenter. So apparently it works fine. BUT when I connect the circuit into its final destination (between the output of my receiver and the AUX input of my soundbar) I hear nothing.

Using the oscilloscope I can see that there is a signal coming out from the receiver when I talk into the mic, *as long as the output of the receiver is not connected*. As soon as I connect it to my circuit, I can't see the signal anymore, even if the power of my amp is off. What could be happening here?

PS:
If I connect the receiver to the AUX input of my soundbar (thereby bypassing my amp), it still works, but as I said in my opening post, the sound is too low.

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2024, 04:59:37 pm »
How is the op-amp powered? Please post a schematic showing exactly how it's connected to the power supply.

Note, the circuit you've posted needs a negative, as well as a positive power supply rail. It will not work properly from a single power supply.

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2024, 05:28:24 pm »
See the circuit attached. I use two resistors to create a virtual ground, as I use a single 9v battery,  as suggested by BilliyO
you will either have to use a split supply or create a virtual ground at Vcc/2.

As I mentioned, it seems to work when I connect it to the output of my laptop, but not to the receiver....

PS:
Apologies for the quality, I will try to get some software do depict schematics

Offline alligatorblues

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2024, 06:29:21 pm »
This is ridiculous. You can purchase audio amps on eBay for $12. With 24V 3A power supply, you'll get plenty of boost.

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2024, 06:36:40 pm »
Thank you @alligatorblues. I know I can buy it. I am doing this in part to learn something.

Online langwadt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2024, 06:39:48 pm »
This is ridiculous. You can purchase audio amps on eBay for $12. With 24V 3A power supply, you'll get plenty of boost.

did you even read the OP?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf