Author Topic: how do I make a time delay that turns on a relay upon power on and turns it off.  (Read 2686 times)

Offline ELS122Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
basically I want ~10s delay and when I power on the dalay circuit it turns on a relay but after 10s it turns it off.

Offline TerminalJack505

• Super Contributor
Here's a circuit from Colin Mitchell's Talking Electronics website that can likely be changed to fit your needs.

In your case you would need to change the timing as well as how it is activated.

The timing is controlled by the resistors and capacitor on the left-hand side.  In your case the capacitor will need to be much smaller and the pot can be removed if you don't need the timing to be adjustable.

The activation is controlled by the 'start' switch which can be replaced with a capacitor.  You can leave the 'start' switch if you need to activate the relay manually.  In that case just put the capacitor in parallel with it.  You might need to experiment with the capacitor size to see what works best.  The bigger, the better since it only needs to 'bootstrap' the timer long enough to turn the relay on.

The relay shown it the schematic will likely have to be a different relay from the relay that you are going to power for 10 seconds.  That is, you will need two relays.  The one shown in the schematic can be very small since it is just powering itself and the components to the left of it. 

Because you will be driving two relays,  you will need to be mindful about not exceeding the 555's maximum output current.  Be careful about which 555 you use since they each have differences in the maximum output characteristics.

Refer to the 555 datasheet for additional details.

Edit: The more I think about it, I don't think this will work as I envisioned.  It would likely turn right back on after it shutting itself off.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 07:34:15 pm by TerminalJack505 »

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
basically I want ~10s delay and when I power on the dalay circuit it turns on a relay but after 10s it turns it off.
There are various ways of implementing this: 555 timer, microcontroller, window comparator, spring to mind.

You haven't provided enough information. What voltage and resistance is the relay coil? Is it AC or DC? How accurate does the delay need to be?

• Frequent Contributor
oh, I want it to use discrete components and no IC's, for no reason really but I like everything to be really simple.
the relay will be 12VDC and not a big relay, like ~1A DPDT. (I don't know the current draw for the coil of a common relay of this type, probably not much)
the relay will be used to turn on the HT supply to a tube amp, (just a push pull EL84 amp)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 10:58:30 pm by ELS122 »

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
Here's a circuit from Colin Mitchell's Talking Electronics website that can likely be changed to fit your needs.
That will delay the power on, but it won't turn off the circuit after a further 10 seconds. To do that, two will need to be cascaded, one after the other, but there are more elegant ways to achieve the same effect.
oh, I want it to use discrete components and no IC's, for no reason really but I like everything to be really simple.
the relay will be 12VDC and not a big relay, like ~1A DPDT. (I don't know the current draw for the coil of a common relay of this type, probably not much)
the relay will be used to turn on the HT supply to a tube amp, (just a push pull EL84 amp)
If you're after simplicity, then forget about discrete components. It will be much more complicated. :palm:

Offline TerminalJack505

• Super Contributor
Are there two delays?  That circuit would turn the relay on immediately upon power-up, so if there are two delays then it wouldn't work.

Offline Jwillis

• Super Contributor
You could use a basic  Astable Multivibrator Circuit.  Just use one output .  But you will still need 2 NPN transistors . The time on and time off  can set  with the capacitors and a couple variable resistors at R1 and R2 and replace one LED with a diode. This circuit doesnt have the LEDs in it . My bad. Just use one of the outputs. With that you can drive another transistor for a relay.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 11:46:11 pm by Jwillis »

The following users thanked this post: ELS122

Offline Jwillis

• Super Contributor
Or if you want only one shot you could use a monostable multivibrator .

The following users thanked this post: KL27x

Offline Ground_Loop

• Frequent Contributor
I did nearly the same thing for the water drain on my compressor tank. When i turn on the shop lights the relay powers a drain solenoid for ten seconds. At ten seconds the relay turns on opening the normally closed contacts to close the drain valve. The relay remains energized as long as the shop lights are on. Your problem is easily solved with any of a number of time delay relays available on Amazon as well as numerous other vendors.  If you’re really just itching to roll your own then by all means, but time delay relays are readily available.
There's no point getting old if you don't have stories.

Offline jesuscf

• Frequent Contributor

If the relay is small, a capacitor in series could work.  I made a test circuit with parts I had laying around and seems to work quite well.  I used a 10mF capacitance equivalent capacitor (three 3300uF capacitors in parallel).  I also placed a 10k resistor in parallel with the capacitor to bleed the charge when there is no power.  This is the circuit:

Here is the assembled test circuit.  I used a push button to simulate the power switch.

Surprisingly the relay remains activated for a long time.  I had my multimeter (in conductivity test mode) attached to the NO contacts of the relay.  As soon as I pressed and held the push button, the multimeter started beeping.  As soon as the multimeter stopped beeping, I released the push button.  I managed to capture the voltage across the solenoid of the relay with the oscilloscope. The relay stayed activated for more than 10 seconds!

For more or less time, change the increase or decrease the capacitance of the series capacitor.
Homer: Kids, there's three ways to do things; the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power way!
Bart: Isn't that the wrong way?
Homer: Yeah, but faster!

Offline I wanted a rude username

• Frequent Contributor
  • ... but this username is also acceptable.
If you want a ready-made solution, there are $2 modules that do this ... just wire and go.

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?SearchText=delay+relay

I use one to suppress the aftermarket alarm lock/unlock chirp in my motorbike.

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
Are there two delays?  That circuit would turn the relay on immediately upon power-up, so if there are two delays then it wouldn't work.
Yes. I think most people here appear to have misread the original poster!

There are two delays!

I'll post a schematic later.

Online brucehoult

• Super Contributor
If you're after simplicity, then forget about discrete components. It will be much more complicated. :palm:

Yup.

You can get ATtiny85;s for $1.20 each right off Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/MICROCHIP-TECHNOLOGY-ATTINY85-20PU-ATtiny-Microcontroller/dp/B07348SMC3

Or around $2 each if you only want five.

They're dead easy to use, have 8 KB of flash for the program (4096 instructions), 512 bytes of RAM, 512 bytes of non-volatile memory, have digital and analogue (10 bit ADC, 15k samples per second) inputs, and digital and analogue (PWM) output. They run at up to 20 MHz (which is 20 MIPS), run off 1.8 V to 5.5 V, and need no external components.

The ADC even does differential mode, so you could program it to mimic a 555 exactly (though with a lower analogue input frequency response)

A little bit more expensive than a 555, but not much, and once you start adding external components to the 555 the total price can easily become more.

It's pocket change in both cases, of course.

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
Yes a microcontroller is a good idea but:
run off 1.8 V to 5.5 V, and need no external components.
Well that's not true. The original poster's application is for 12V, so an LM78L05 or similar and a transistor to switch the relay will be required.

Here's the simplest discrete deign I could think of, which doesn't use monster capacitors. The values of R1, C1, R2 and C2 will need to be tweaked, as it's dependant on the threshold voltages of the MOSFETs. The precision will be poor, but if all that's required is an approximate delay, it will do.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 06:31:35 pm by Zero999 »

• Frequent Contributor
well I meant 1 delay, one delay that when powers on IS on, but after 10s turns of. so is on. then turns off.
why I want this?
because I don't want the relay being on for all the time when the amp is on.
although it shouldn't be a problem if the voltage is right I just don't like the idea of something uselessly drawing current all the time.

Offline TerminalJack505

• Super Contributor
If that's the case then it looks like you should be able to remove R1, C1, and M2 from Zero999's circuit and connect R2 and M1 to ground instead of M2's drain.

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
well I meant 1 delay, one delay that when powers on IS on, but after 10s turns of. so is on. then turns off.
why I want this?
because I don't want the relay being on for all the time when the amp is on.
although it shouldn't be a problem if the voltage is right I just don't like the idea of something uselessly drawing current all the time.
OK, then it appears, the other people who have responded are right and I am the one who was mistaken. The circuit posted by TerminalJack505 will work.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/how-do-i-make-a-time-delay-that-turns-on-a-relay-upon-power-on-and-turns-it-off/msg2919276/#msg2919276

If that's the case then it looks like you should be able to remove R1, C1, and M2 from Zero999's circuit and connect R2 and M1 to ground instead of M2's drain.
Yes, like this.

• Frequent Contributor
I'll use a 2n7000.
then I'll put a 10k resistor across the drain and positive rail then I'll put a switch in series with the relay coil as a separate "standby" or mute switch.
I think the resistor would be better than none since when I switch the switch off it will just disconnect any load from the MOSFET. and I think that would probably cause some noise or something.
and also a 470pF across the switch so I don't get any possible oscillations, this is probably useless but I want to be safe of ANY noise.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf