Electronics > Beginners

how does posting math notation work?

<< < (4/6) > >>

dnwheeler:
Interesting. It appears to be some sort of rendering issue. In the previous posts, the "frac" line is clearly 1 pixel higher than the "over" line. In your post, they look the same, but as I'm typing this, the copy of your message shown below the editor shows the "over" line 1 pixel higher.

FWIW, I see the same behavior on the Chromium version of Edge and with Chrome (on a Windows 10 system).

There are other technical differences discussed here: https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/73822/what-is-the-difference-between-over-and-frac

IanB:
So it's a case of \over being a TeX primitive whereas \frac is a LaTeX macro with more robust behavior?

However, I am with Knuth who apparently said that \over is a more natural syntax for mathematicians. As long as I see \over rendering properly it is the one I would prefer to use. I find \frac more awkward as it doesn't support a linear thought process when writing equations.

Edit: apparently \frac also uses a form of \over internally when it expands the macro.

RoGeorge:
Enclose the formula between backslash dollar if you need an inline formula, for example like this one \$\Phi = BA\$, placed in a normal conversation.

Sometimes I use https://www.codecogs.com/latex/eqneditor.php as an online editor, good to see the rendered formula, because the forum shows the rendered formula only after posting, it does not render it at preview.

LATER EDIT:  Found an older post with a clean example in it.

Latex enclosed by backslash dollar will render it inline, when enclosed by double dollar will render centered, on a new line.

Example:

--- Code: ---From Faraday's induction law, the induced voltage \$V\$ in an \$N\$ turns coil will be:

$$V = -N\frac{\vartriangle \Phi}{\vartriangle t}$$
where \$\Phi\$ is the magnetic flux

--- End code ---

From Faraday's induction law, the induced voltage \$V\$ in an \$N\$ turns coil will be:

$$V = -N\frac{\vartriangle \Phi}{\vartriangle t}$$
where \$\Phi\$ is the magnetic flux

The Latex render will be seen only after posting the message, not at preview.

RoGeorge:

--- Code: ---Trying a new one
\[\vartheta=2\pi  \tag{5.5}  \label{eq:best}\]
Space between consecutive formulae
\[
    \mathbf{A}\textbf{B}  \tag{5.6}  \label{eq:special}
\]
A reference to eq. \eqref{eq:best} and a cross-reference to \eqref{eq:special}.
--- End code ---

Trying a new one
\[\vartheta=2\pi  \tag{5.5}  \label{eq:best}\]
Space between consecutive formulae
\[
    \mathbf{A}\textbf{B}  \tag{5.6}  \label{eq:special}
\]
A reference to eq. \eqref{eq:best} and a cross-reference to \eqref{eq:special}.

Andy Watson:
And can I reference a previous post. Like equation \eqref{eq:best} ?

Apparently I can !

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version