Author Topic: How many of you who are experienced in Electronics are into Bushcraft?  (Read 5291 times)

Offline VladKEasternTigerTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Hi Everyone, okay I want to ask those who are experienced in Electronics how many of you are into and love Bushcraft and survival camping activities, like being in the rainforest or desert and using your skills to hunt for food, make shelter and purify drinking water. Can you explain where your electronic skills would come into place? And if you ever used those electronic skills to benefit you in the past. I can think of a few like making a wind up torch lamp, radio, light signals etc.. but surley you can combine the two together right? Electronics dosent have to be limited to comforts like computers, tv, cars and ipods.

Offline TheDirty

• Frequent Contributor
We don't really call it Bushcraft, it's more just going out into the woods.  In my old age here I'm limited to a couple trips and one extended trip per year and they are usually in the Near North Ontario Canada region and mostly canoeing/portaging rather than straight hiking.

I have tried thinking of interesting toys to impress my friends with, but I've really found nothing.  Most interesting thing I have is a tiny GPS data logger to log our trips and map pictures to it.  Not very helpful, but it's interesting afterward.  Most of the places we go only have the hazy outlines of terrain on Google Maps.  I'm making my own datalogger for the next trip with a Venus GPS module, pressure, and temperature sensors logged to a microSD card.  I want a humidity sensor as well; they are fairly expensive, but I'll likely add one before this years trip.
Mark Higgins

Offline EEwannabe

• Contributor
I've only ever used my survival skills in the wild, but a couple of years ago during a tornado that passed over the house, I built a FM reciever from some parts from a kit and other parts from my storage bins. Worked quite well but was only needed for a short time (Super Walmarts come in handy when your part of the same substation. :) )

- Patrick

Offline migsantiago

• Frequent Contributor
    • MigSantiago's Web Site
LOL

You made me remember McGiver.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macgiver

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
No, I'm certainly into electronic bushcraft which is crazy.:D

http://knuttz.net/hosted_pages/Safety-First-20070815

A closer look at the transformer.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
criky looks set to start a bush fire

Offline VladKEasternTigerTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
No, I'm certainly into electronic bushcraft which is crazy.:D

http://knuttz.net/hosted_pages/Safety-First-20070815

A closer look at the transformer.

At least they are Efficient and creative, look at our society we throw away good working goods, waste resources and dont recycle as much as we should do. Talk to anyone in the street and im sure 1 in 10 would know what a transformer is

Offline xani

• Frequent Contributor
and that 10% would say "Ah, yes i know what transformer is, it is that big robots in a movie" :D

Offline Ferroto

• Frequent Contributor
That transformer looks menacing.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 02:57:54 pm by Ferroto »

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
I bet it hums like hell

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf