Author Topic: How much more math do I need to study???  (Read 9784 times)

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
Re: How much more math do I need to study???
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2018, 12:04:55 am »
no if you are on the cutting edge or want to invent something. But if you just want to copy psu design from 1977 magazine like many hobbiests did, then probably you dont need math.
Please note that I didn't say you don't use any math. It's all just less math heavy.

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2018, 12:15:14 am »
Warning:
This thread is apparently around 5 to 6 years old, and seems to have been necro'd/re-initiated by a possible SPAM (or self promotion) link post.

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2018, 01:37:18 am »
no need to be cyber police, everything still under control. what self promotion? this thread is resurrected by someone newbie who want to become a lawyer. we have a very good policeman around here already that can kick butt (moderator) no need to become another one.

The original SPAM post, has (apparently) already been removed by the moderator(s).
Sorry if that is causing confusion.

Some posters, have been making fairly long responses, to the OP.
Who seems to have left the forum, for a fairly long time. (Last seen around Jan 2018).
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 01:41:25 am by MK14 »

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2018, 01:46:57 am »
how the heck they know its a spam? its just a simple naive question to me? some people have plenty of time to do some stuffs :palm: but dont bother telling people whats going on.

The thread originated almost 6 years ago!
The possible SPAMer, posted their link, which reopened the ancient necro'd thread.
Link (possible spam) and its associated post have been deleted by the mods, I think.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2018, 06:02:12 am »
trigonometry and calculus both with complex numbers, simultaneous equations are a given of course.

Offline GeoffreyF

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2018, 01:19:43 pm »
How much electronics do you want to do?  Do you want to do original designs?  Also if you are going to do work that involves signal processing or RF, you need even more.  Simple Algebra will get you started for hobby purposes.
US Amateur Extra W1GCF.

Offline Mattjd

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2018, 02:20:51 pm »
no if you are on the cutting edge or want to invent something. But if you just want to copy psu design from 1977 magazine like many hobbiests did, then probably you dont need math.
Please note that I didn't say you don't use any math. It's all just less math heavy.
understood, but my statement still stands, if you want to be near cutting edge, you'll need even more heavier math, something you seldomly see even in university.[/b]

Warning:
no need to be cyber police, everything still under control. what self promotion? this thread is resurrected by someone newbie who want to become a lawyer. we have a very good policeman around here already that can kick butt (moderator) no need to become another one.

This is something people to fail to realize. When we're learning engineering concepts, everything we are doing are results of higher level mathematics. All the nice algebraic relations we use, they come from solving differential equations, and beyond. Coming up with new ideas, technology, etc, you need advanced math, and yes its very often stuff you wont see in your undergraduate course bc the math for those subjects are well known and thought out. Those courses provide with the bare minimum required to be able to learn the engineering concepts.

At my university we have semester long clinics, im in a machine learning clinic, each clinic has to do novel work, so we're reading newest/newer machine learning papers all of which utilize all sorts of advanced mathematics ranging from statistics, probability, differential geometry, functional analysis, to practically any field. Like its just crazy.

Just take the governing laws of circuits, maxwell equations, those are partial differential equations, everything we do stems from them, at some point, someone had to solve them, to come up with what we now use. Additionally, a lot of the stuff you would learn in a basic electrical circuit analysis class, are from problems in graph theory, solved using linear algebra. People really don't realize how much was done to get to the stuff, we as EE/CE, use everyday

I'm of the opinion you cannot know enough math, but I'm also the weirdo who would rather do an integral by hand to reinforced what I learned. I personally find it very satisfying when I can apply the math I learned and solve stuff by hand. I could do Fourier and Laplace transforms all day, but im a minority.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2018, 05:50:04 am »
Locking topic because it's 2013 post, and the OP is probably long gone on that.

The following users thanked this post: MK14

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf