Author Topic: How old are you?  (Read 28546 times)

Offline obiwanjacobi

• Frequent Contributor
  • What's this yippee-yayoh pin you talk about!?
    • Marctronix Blog
Re: How old are you?
« Reply #75 on: May 28, 2012, 12:17:05 pm »
44 (born in 1968)

Late 80's I got an electronics degree and after being drafted by the military (which wasted a year) I started with a 'electronics' job that lasted for 3 years. During that time I learned 68HC assembler language (was already fluent in Z80 assembler so that was simple) and picked up C and C++ programming.

Then I decided to continue in IT and abandoned electronics altogether. I even sold all my stuff - components and instruments (only held on to my multi-meter). in 95 I landed a job as a C++ Windows / Microsoft ((Tm)/(R)/(C) :-P ) developer and from then on I continued to be a developer. Today I am a lead developer /  Solutions Architect doing the Microsoft .NET dance.

Since a couple of months I am the proud owner of an Arduino Uno. I bought it work on an Idea I had (currently on  hold ;-) ) and since then have been getting one idea after the other. I am currently working on a Midi Mapper (processor) which needs some more software (as I go I'm also setting up a library for all to use).

I am spending my free time catching up to the current state of affairs (some things have progressed a lot), watching YouTube (were I found the EEVBlog) and checking a few forums now and again.
Arduino Template Library | Zalt Z80 Computer
Wrong code should not compile!

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #76 on: May 28, 2012, 01:55:01 pm »
I've read lots of your posts that suggest you're very knowledgeable so not taking anything away with the following statement:

Higher education is such an opportunity, unfortunately, there is no way for someone to understand its full potential until much later in life. Stick with it (do yourself a favor).

I do know the importance of higher education, going through this technical college is a pity and waste of time and a walk in the park, i'm only here to get a certificate then go onto getting a diploma
ah well.

I'm glad to hear you have appreciation for the experience.

What about a more challenging University? May I ask where you attend?

Some college only known as "ITE" the stuff they teach there is hopelessly basic, one could know the syllabus within a month from the net
I haven't though of a university but i did at one point but i might just evaluate the advantages over disadvantages ( there WAS a big preference for diploma holders compared to degree holders because the companies apparently see your education level first instead of your achievements now that most EE's in singapore fresh from university have '0' practical experience, it's that sad )

Best of luck with that, Dave. I hope you find a more 'challenging' home for your scholastic endeavors - people like yourself (passionate and knowledgeable) often-times become paramount in their industry with the right ecosystem to grow in.

Thanks man, much appreciation ( On another note that created even more unemployment of EE's are that MANY degree holders have terrible english )

Offline budmanjr123

« Reply #77 on: May 29, 2012, 12:53:12 am »
I am going to be 16 in a couple weeks!, we did very simple bread boarding (Consisting of only lights and jumper wires) in my principles of engineering class and I got completely hooked, I then began to look online for breadboard and component prices and bought some of my own. This was about 3 months ago and now I have learned a lot of things about electronic engineering, compared to all that there is to know I know very little, but I continue to learn and have fun making circuits and experimenting with different Integrated circuits and Components! As of now I hope to go to college to either be a Spanish teacher, or an electronic engineer! also I just joined this forum! 8)

Offline joblessalex

• Contributor
« Reply #78 on: May 29, 2012, 03:47:25 am »
I'm almost 16 as well. I have done things since I was 4 or 5. Soon I hope to be able to actually design a few of my own projects from scratch and not just build them!

Offline StubbornGreek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #79 on: May 29, 2012, 03:07:43 pm »

Thanks man, much appreciation ( On another note that created even more unemployment of EE's are that MANY degree holders have terrible english )

Sorry, a bit confused  by your question. Are you asking whether there are a fair number of educated professionals with only a 'street-level' diction in the industry? If so, then absolutely yes. I feel its a shame how few of us make the extra (albeit small) effort to speak/write properly. This is not just with English but many cultures just don't put the effort forth.
"The reward of a thing well done is to have it done"
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #80 on: May 29, 2012, 03:10:29 pm »

Sorry, a bit confused  by your question. Are you asking whether there are a fair number of educated professionals with only a 'street-level' diction in the industry? If so, then absolutely yes. I feel its a shame how few of us make the extra (albeit small) effort to speak/write properly. This is not just with English but many cultures just don't put the effort forth.

So i see it's not only in this town of mine

I'm almost 16 as well. I have done things since I was 4 or 5. Soon I hope to be able to actually design a few of my own projects from scratch and not just build them!
I'm 18, i got serious only last year but i progressed pretty quickly to make my projects from scratch and build them, but as i say, go at your pace
there's no rush

Offline kfitch42

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #81 on: May 30, 2012, 02:28:21 am »
0x21

Offline obiwanjacobi

• Frequent Contributor
  • What's this yippee-yayoh pin you talk about!?
    • Marctronix Blog
« Reply #82 on: May 30, 2012, 07:11:12 am »
Arduino Template Library | Zalt Z80 Computer
Wrong code should not compile!

Offline CampKohler

• Contributor
« Reply #83 on: May 30, 2012, 08:45:06 pm »
69 (This is known as existing on the slippery slope and being unable to stop the slide.)

My first electrical interest was manifest by me hiding a Golden Book on lights and batteries inside a text book in the 5th grade. The teacher had me in the boys room with a paddle, but I jail-house-lawyered my way out of it by reminding him that he said we could read any book we wanted. Of course he meant any school book, but that was not the first time that poorly-worded instructions was someone's undoing.

Offline Jiggerypook

• Contributor
« Reply #84 on: November 28, 2018, 05:40:25 am »

Got my dad to buy me the (How and Why Wonder Book of Electricity) when I was about 8 or 9 years old. Was dazzling the classmates in no time. lol.
After high school I ended up becoming an electrician. Now that I am retired I have picked up the soldering iron again and can repair very basic problems with audio amps such as blown output transistors. I have forgotten more than I remember but I'm going to resume construction of a project that I started 26 years ago and dropped to spend time with my 3 year old daughter and newborn son. Now that the nest is empty there is nothing but my empty head to stop me. It was still on my workbench where I had left it and it seemed to call out to me. I think I still have the bug.  :-DD  I sure wish that I had made more drawings and notes.  |O

I realize that this post is over 6 years old but it's one of the few that I can actually contribute to.
Every complex problem has a simple, easy to understand, wrong answer.

Offline kafor1

• Contributor
« Reply #85 on: November 28, 2018, 06:59:35 am »
 Im 21 and i jayson abayan have a dream, and that is to go to japan, and to make that dream come true i will become so good at electronics, im so lucky i found this website where i can ask questions to my probs

Offline coolyota

• Contributor
« Reply #86 on: November 28, 2018, 08:01:18 am »
38, and a complete noob. Never taken anything apart... Am I too late to learn?

Offline spec

• Frequent Contributor
  • MALE
« Reply #87 on: November 28, 2018, 08:23:33 am »
38, and a complete noob. Never taken anything apart... Am I too late to learn?
Definitely not :) Absolute age does not effect your learning capacity- health does though. But the main thing is your approach to learning.  I would say that a person, of any age, with average intelligence and with the right tuition, could have a pretty good grasp of electronics within six months. At minimal cost too- books, videos, a breadboard and a few components and you would be on the way.

Although not my main job, I have been involved in teaching electronics for years to an array of different types of people, and I recon that the three attributes  to learning electronics, or any subject for that matter, are: positive mental attitude, logical thought, good information.

Of course, all this requires hard work, and sometimes boring work. :)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 05:44:17 pm by spec »

Offline AngraMelo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #88 on: November 28, 2018, 04:11:31 pm »
I began when I was 23 and was living in the USA (at then I was doing my masters in music)
All started with, believe it or not, CIGARETTES!
Yes! I used to smoke and I saw one guy on the streets using an electronic cigarette.
I got so intrigued by how that little stick could put out vapor that I went to read about it.
I bought some modules and built my own e-cig. (mainly following instructions from the web and with the help of you guys and the reddit community)
After that...Ohms Law, books, transistors, Op-amps and the whole madness.
Because I learn the theory as it is needed for the practice, it is very common for me to have very basic questions while doing a much more complicated project (if compared to the question). For ex: building a discrete symmetrical power supply but having no idea how to wire the 3p2t switch.
Today Im living in Brazil, where Im originally from, and trying to cope with the insane importation taxes that makes buying components a hassle.
But, I love all of this!

Offline HB9EVI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #89 on: November 28, 2018, 04:23:00 pm »
Wow, 6 years the thread rested in peace and now that; but it's interesting to read

I'm turning 40 soon, and I guess I got my "Radiomann"-like electronic lab with 10, but I got off the road and ended for a while in IT-only; fortunatelly this time is over

Offline spec

• Frequent Contributor
  • MALE
« Reply #90 on: November 28, 2018, 05:40:26 pm »
Because I learn the theory as it is needed for the practice, it is very common for me to have very basic questions while doing a much more complicated project.
Great story :)
Even the most experienced EE learns, sometimes the most basic thing.

Offline coolyota

• Contributor
« Reply #91 on: November 29, 2018, 08:26:46 am »
My learning journey so far has been pretty much ad-hoc basis. I think I will learn better in a structured classroom/course. I have been learning off YouTube videos. Taught myself to understand 555 IC and recently bought an oscilloscope to see how 555 works. It's really interesting to see charge and discharge cycle. Really struggling to understand what a circuit do if given one.

I feel my learning has stagnate a little bit recently. I think my next step is to get Learning The Art of Electronics...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf