Author Topic: How smartphone charging power management works?  (Read 489 times)

Offline noobfrombdTopic starter

How smartphone charging power management works?
« on: April 20, 2021, 11:37:07 pm »
Hi, for a long time I wanted to implement smartphone like power feature in my projects. But after tons of searching on YouTube and Google I can only find Power management IC's. But no one to explain how they manage charger connection. Like if I connect my charger to phone it automatically charges, but if I use the phone at very high load, like gaming on it, the phone provides maximum power to it's cpu and other circuitries, then if some power is left from usb, it provides that to battery. It's like if the circuitry load is its 1st priority and charging battery is 2nd priority. There are also some other features are present on smartphones, such as if I disconnect the usb, there is no sudden power blackout on the smartphone, like there is no switching happening from usb to battery, unlike my pc UPS, which takes some time to switch the relay and for that some time i see my pc restarting automatically during power outage. Laptops also behave like smart phone. But how? I know some people uses 2 diodes to feed usb 5v and 3.7v on the same line, but that's creates more problems than it solves. Like how can I change the battery like smart phone does?  :-\

I just want to power some esp32, STM32 and few other controller projects with batteries. Like my ESP 32 rgb led project has lots of LEDs, so I only power it through usb, no battery system. That's also the case for other projects. I don't want to recharge the battery manually. But I also can't use complex PM IC's. Any help?

Sorry for the trouble, If anything doesn't make sense, please ask me. Thanks in advance. :)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 10:29:45 am by noobfrombd »

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
Re: How smartphone charging power management works?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2021, 12:10:36 am »
I recommend studying laptop schematics.

The following users thanked this post: noobfrombd

Offline cortex_m0

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2021, 12:27:16 am »
Take a look at this issue of LT Journal. It describes the functionality of Linear Tech's "PowerPath" family parts. Other ICs have a similar topology. It's the first article, pp 1-5.

https://www.analog.com/media/en/technical-documentation/lt-journal-article/ltmag_v18n2_jun08.pdf

The following users thanked this post: noobfrombd

Offline noobfrombdTopic starter

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2021, 04:38:10 am »
Thanks cortex_m0. It's a big help. Appreciate it👍

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf