Author Topic: How to buy a 9V 3A AC Adapter  (Read 2207 times)

Offline bobcat2000Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
How to buy a 9V 3A AC Adapter
« on: September 20, 2021, 02:54:06 am »
Hello All,

I am looking for a 9V 3A ac adapter.  Reading reviews from Amazon by itself is an exercise.

I see 2 of these.  Is it bigger the better?

Thanks!

Offline ledtester

• Super Contributor
Re: How to buy a 9V 3A AC Adapter
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2021, 03:05:15 am »
What are you going to use it for?

The second one has a display and a knob for adjusting the voltage which is convenient but it also means the voltage could be changed if it gets accidentally bumped.

The first one is better for an unattended, permanent installation - the second one would be better as a power supply for testing things out.

Offline bob91343

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2021, 03:07:15 am »
I am very suspicious that these have poor, if any, regulation.  You would be better off with an old CB 3 A power supply with an added regulator.

Plus, I never buy from Amazon.  Prices too high.  Try ebay or Aliexpress.  Maybe All Electronics has what you want.

Online bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2021, 03:14:54 am »
Those are DC adapters.  Which is it that you want and what will it be powering? (it all matters quite a bit)
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2021, 03:20:31 am »
These adjustable models might be very sketchy when operating at their extreme capacity.

I would trust a fixed output voltage from a good brand - for example, this 30W CUI SDI36-9-UD-P5 is one of them.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline mariush

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2021, 04:32:59 am »
Do you actually need AC output  or DC output ?  It's two totally different things.

You can buy an adapter rated for higher current than 3A, that value is just the maximum the adapter can provide.

Distributors of electronic components like Digikey Mouser Newark/Farnell have tons of such adapters
For example, here's Digikey's selection of 9v DC adapters with current rating equal or higher than 3A  (up to 100w, around 11a) : https://www.digikey.com/short/rvtf20vf

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2021, 06:00:33 am »
The term "AC adapter" is commonly used to mean any power adapter that takes in line voltage AC and outputs some lower, isolated voltage, whether AC or DC.

I would look at Mouser or Digikey instead of Amazon. Real electronics suppliers tend to carry better quality stuff like this, with more reliable specs. 

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2021, 08:07:15 am »
Thanks guys!  I can see that there are many options.

I need one for a dehumidifier that comes with a 9V 2.5A ac adapter.  The cap inside bursted.  It was running 24/7.  Maybe that was why.  The power brick ran quite hot drawing 2+ amp.

The cost is the primary factor.  Buying from Mouser may not be possible.  The ac adapter is like $20 plus another $10 for shipping.  That is $30+ expense.  I can save the shipping if I add up $25 buck from Amazon.

I also agree that the one with a dial is not idea.

Amazon also has a bigger one with the selector.  Is a longer one better than the small one?

The dial or the selector is just there for changing the resistance to the switching circuit.  Correct?

« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 08:10:48 am by bobcat2000 »

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2021, 09:01:21 am »
Thanks guys!  I can see that there are many options.

I need one for a dehumidifier that comes with a 9V 2.5A ac adapter.  The cap inside bursted.  It was running 24/7.  Maybe that was why.  The power brick ran quite hot drawing 2+ amp.

The cost is the primary factor.  Buying from Mouser may not be possible.  The ac adapter is like $20 plus another $10 for shipping.  That is $30+ expense.  I can save the shipping if I add up $25 buck from Amazon.

I also agree that the one with a dial is not idea.

Amazon also has a bigger one with the selector.  Is a longer one better than the small one?

The dial or the selector is just there for changing the resistance to the switching circuit.  Correct?

Ok that clarifies - you want a 9V DC output mains adapter with a minimum output current of 2.5A.

I would definitely go for one without a voltage selector for the reasons previously discussed. (the knob adjusts regulated output voltage, not resistance btw). I would also go for a rectangular laptop style rater than a 'wall wart' due to the weight - particularly with US outlets.

If you want it to run cooler and with longer life then there's no harm in going for one with a higher current capability, for instance, 5A.

P.S. Double check that the output connector polarity is correct (centre +ve etc). It's easy to screw up with those multi-plug kits.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 09:05:20 am by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

Offline ledtester

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2021, 11:00:51 am »

It is likely the adapter uses a switch-mode power supply inside and the dial/selector changes a feedback resistor to adjust the output voltage.

Offline bob91343

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2021, 05:30:57 pm »
If the original one has a bad capacitor, why not do a repair job?

The following users thanked this post: Gyro

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2021, 06:40:29 pm »
I thought about fixing it.  But that will be another $10 to buy a bag of cap.  The AC adapter looks well made.  The board looks burned front and back though.

I would rather spend the money to just buy a new one for like $40 if I had to spend $10 here and there.  Driving to the place to buy a parts will cost a lot of gas.  The cost will add up.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2021, 07:14:31 pm »
How about this? https://www.ebay.com/itm/164138851093?hash=item2637701b15:g:txkAAOSwN~Vee~rv

Do check the output connector, most are center-positive but some are center negative, there is no standard and if you get it wrong it will usually damage your device.

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2021, 07:17:14 pm »
Yeah, that's been running too hot, the board is delaminating. Caps wouldn't fix that.
Best Regards, Chris

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2021, 07:24:27 pm »
It may have been running hot due to failing caps, which of course will fail faster when it's hot. Replacing the caps probably would fix it, but whether it's worth it is certainly debatable.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2021, 07:56:11 pm »
Come to think about this.  Those dehumidifiers use Peltier chip inside.  Can I just use a 12V 3A AC adapter instead of the 9V one that come with the unit?

I have a bunch of 12V 3A adapters.

Thanks!

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2021, 10:05:01 pm »
Maybe.

The higher voltage will cause it to draw more power, so the cold side will get colder and may ice up, more importantly the hot side will get hotter. If it were mine and it was not some kind of valuable heirloom I would try it while monitoring carefully.

Offline perieanuo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2021, 08:06:53 am »
Hello All,

I am looking for a 9V 3A ac adapter.  Reading reviews from Amazon by itself is an exercise.

I see 2 of these.  Is it bigger the better?

Thanks!
hi, i guess you mean DC adapter
not bigger, heavier is better. buy second one

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2021, 08:07:06 am »
Come to think about this.  Those dehumidifiers use Peltier chip inside.  Can I just use a 12V 3A AC adapter instead of the 9V one that come with the unit?

I have a bunch of 12V 3A adapters.

Thanks!
Assuming it's just a resistive load, the power will go up by a factor of nealry 1.8, as P = V2/R.

How often do you use the dehumidifier? Is it on continiously? If so, you probably won't like my suggestion, but your best bet is to toss it and buy a more expensive compressor based one. Peltier coolers are cheap, but very inefficent and cost a lot to run, for the same cooling power, compared to a compressor refrigeration unit. If you use it a lot, you'll save money in the long run, by investing in a more efficient dehumidifier.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2021, 05:13:25 am »
That was what I was wondering.  I run the thing 24/7.  It draws 9V 2.5A.  So, it is about 23W/h.  23W/h x 24h x 30 days. = 17KW/month.

Is my calculation correct?

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2021, 05:51:16 am »
KWh per month, but otherwise yes.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2021, 05:58:02 am »
Hmmm... The compressor types use close to 800W/h.  Not cheap.  I think I will continue to look for a 9V 3A adapter instead.  Cheaper.

Online bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2021, 05:30:34 pm »
Hmmm... The compressor types use close to 800W/h.  Not cheap.  I think I will continue to look for a 9V 3A adapter instead.  Cheaper.

How much water does it extract from the air in a day?
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2021, 05:53:52 pm »
They don't have to be run continuously. If you look at it on a basis of energy consumed per quantity of water removed, the compressor type is much more efficient.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2021, 07:29:58 pm »
Indeed. I have a few small Peltier models and have been considering changing to a larger one. You run the smaller ones 24/7 and the bigger one for one hour or so. I had a borrowed one and it extracts much more water, which most probably saves you energy in the long run.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf