Author Topic: How to connect a NPN transistor in place of an PNP  (Read 928 times)

Offline PillaDoubleGTopic starter

How to connect a NPN transistor in place of an PNP
« on: April 13, 2024, 12:02:32 pm »
Hello, could someone maybe explain or give me a picture of how to connect a NPN transistor instead of a PNP transistor in this circuit?

I've searched on the web but haven't found a super definitive answer.

Here's a picture of the circuit.

Online xvr

• Regular Contributor
    • LinkedIn
Re: How to connect a NPN transistor in place of an PNP
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2024, 12:10:22 pm »
Very strange circuit. TV killer?

> Hello, could someone maybe explain or give me a picture of how to connect a NPN transistor instead of a PNP transistor in this circuit?

No way - there is no PNP transistor in this circuit  :-//

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2024, 12:11:30 pm »
There isn't any PNP (or NPN) transistor in the circuit, just an N-Channel MOSFET.
Best Regards, Chris

Offline MrAl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2024, 12:52:02 pm »
Hello, could someone maybe explain or give me a picture of how to connect a NPN transistor instead of a PNP transistor in this circuit?

I've searched on the web but haven't found a super definitive answer.

Here's a picture of the circuit.

Hi,

Not only is there no PNP transistor in the circuit, but there is also a switch in series with the inductor L3 which is not a good idea because when it is opened the inductor could generate a huge voltage kickback and cause problems.
I'd have to ask where you got this circuit and what is it supposed to be used for.

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2024, 01:03:20 pm »
It also looks as if it may be powered directly from the mains (220V) making it extremely dangerous.
Best Regards, Chris

Offline CaptDon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2024, 01:17:15 pm »
Unless L1 and L2 are on the same core and that core also has another winding (secondary) that power is extracted from, that would be the most useless design I have ever seen. And why, when looking at that symbol did you guess it was a transistor? It is the industry standard symbol for a certain style of FET. N type devices in 99.999% of circuits can't be swapped with P type devices and vice versa unless the polarity of the power supply is also reversed. No fuse in the circuit = nice explosion when the FET shorts due to no snubbing circuit or failing to begin oscillation at all.
Collector and repairer of vintage and not so vintage electronic gadgets and test equipment. What's the difference between a pizza and a musician? A pizza can feed a family of four!! Classically trained guitarist. Sound engineer.

Offline PillaDoubleGTopic starter

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2024, 02:00:12 pm »
I'll try to answer all the questions here, to clear up confusion.

Worded the original post very badly, and didn't fully understand the circuit. I was worried about the little arrow in the picture.
I'm sure all of you know what that means, so I wont bother explaining it, but I have an IGBT that has the arrow going in the other direction, hence the current going in the other direction. Can i connect the IGBT same as the MOSFET, or differently? Or will an IGBT not work at all in this circuit?

Hi,

Not only is there no PNP transistor in the circuit, but there is also a switch in series with the inductor L3 which is not a good idea because when it is opened the inductor could generate a huge voltage kickback and cause problems.
I'd have to ask where you got this circuit and what is it supposed to be used for.

Thanks for mentioning the voltage spike when disconnecting the switch. Would it be better to go with no switch?

It also looks as if it may be powered directly from the mains (220V) making it extremely dangerous.

It is supposed to be powered off 220v, which is super-super dangerous. For this reason if I ever run it, I will wear the proper protection.

Unless L1 and L2 are on the same core and that core also has another winding (secondary) that power is extracted from, that would be the most useless design I have ever seen. And why, when looking at that symbol did you guess it was a transistor? It is the industry standard symbol for a certain style of FET. N type devices in 99.999% of circuits can't be swapped with P type devices and vice versa unless the polarity of the power supply is also reversed. No fuse in the circuit = nice explosion when the FET shorts due to no snubbing circuit or failing to begin oscillation at all.

Sadly, I don't know all of the symbols just yet, sorry about the confusion there. And thank you for recommending a fuse, which I will definitely add into the circuit. But if a snubber (I'm assuming that it would be a resistor and capacitor, parallel to the switch) were to be added, what should the values of the components be?

Sorry for all of the confusion, I will try to understand and answer all of your answers as precisely as I can :P

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2024, 04:09:47 pm »
I doubt you'll find any experienced people here willing to help you kill yourself. You're clearly too inexperienced.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2024, 04:11:18 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

Online xvr

• Regular Contributor
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2024, 04:31:52 pm »
This is Solid State Tesla Coil. VERY unstable and worst behaving thing. Required a lot of experience to make it work. And quite dangerous too.
I think Author with his experience could give 3 outcome : burn out a LOT of MOSFETs, short out power mains and finally kill himself.

Offline Jwillis

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2024, 09:19:29 pm »

Sadly, I don't know all of the symbols just yet, sorry about the confusion there. And thank you for recommending a fuse, which I will definitely add into the circuit. But if a snubber (I'm assuming that it would be a resistor and capacitor, parallel to the switch) were to be added, what should the values of the components be?

Sorry for all of the confusion, I will try to understand and answer all of your answers as precisely as I can :P

A picture is worth a thousand words.
Acronyms can often lead people to to confusion.  BJT (Bi-polar Junction Transistor), FET (Field Effect Transistor), or an IGBT(Insulated-Gate Bipolar Transistor) are all Transistors.

You can't put a resistor capacitor snubber on a switch for AC unless the 220V is rectified to DC first. A capacitor will pass AC but blocks DC. Just thought I would clarify that since the 220V hadn't been defined.

I suggest you do a little more research into the project to get a better understanding of how things work, the components used, their limitations and hazards. I don't recommend any novice to dive into any high voltage applications without even the most basic understanding of this. 

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2024, 03:09:01 am »
but I have an IGBT that has the arrow going in the other direction, hence the current going in the other direction.
That’s not what the arrow means. Consider that in a zener diode, the device is normally operated with current flowing from cathode to anode.

The arrow in a semiconductor symbol means one thing, and one thing only: a P-N junction. That means that the point of the arrow is N-type semiconductor and the shaft/tail of the arrow is P-type. That is, the arrow is always pointing at the N of a P-N junction. So in an NPN transistor, you see the arrow points away from the gate, so you know that gate-emitter is P-N, and because it’s a three-layer device, the remaining layer has to be N. In an N-channel MOSFET, the arrow points inwards, so the N-type semiconductor is in the middle, which is where the channel of a MOSFET is. (In other words, a symbol doesn’t have to show all the P-N junctions in a device, it just shows enough for a knowledgeable user to tell it apart from other types.)

Offline MarkT

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2024, 07:58:07 am »

The arrow in a semiconductor symbol means one thing, and one thing only: a P-N junction.
Not true, Schottky diodes don't use pn-junctions, nor do PIN diodes in a strict sense (or come to that hetero-junction LEDs and lasers).
The arrow in a MOSFET corresponds to no junction come to that, as the doping of the channel is uniform relying on the field-effect to create an inversion layer.

I'd say an arrow indicates polarity, usually...

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2024, 10:28:56 pm »

The arrow in a semiconductor symbol means one thing, and one thing only: a P-N junction.
Not true, Schottky diodes don't use pn-junctions, nor do PIN diodes in a strict sense (or come to that hetero-junction LEDs and lasers).
The arrow in a MOSFET corresponds to no junction come to that, as the doping of the channel is uniform relying on the field-effect to create an inversion layer.
Look at the construction of a MOSFET, please.

Offline MrAl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2024, 11:46:32 am »
Hello,

The construction of say a Schottky diode is different than a PN diode, as it only has one semiconductor layer.  This makes it hard to say that the arrow-like shape indicates a PN junction.

However, it is also difficult to say that that arrow-like shape indicates polarity also because that would be just a little misleading as well.
Consider this: I draw an arrow on a piece of paper such as:
--->
or more like how a diode looks:
--[>|--
and now tell me which end (left or right) has positive polarity and which end has negative polarity.
You can't do it, because for some devices the polarity has to be opposite to what some other devices require (reverse biased) in order for the device to work correctly, or at least in the normal way.

This can only mean that the arrowhead means different things for different devices, both in the construction of the device and the proper (or normal) biasing of the device.  Even the current flow can be negligible in some devices and very high in others.  This means we have to know more about how the device itself works in order to be able to interpret the meaning of the portion that is indicated by the arrowhead correctly.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2024, 11:50:39 am by MrAl »

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2024, 08:42:21 am »
I've always taken the arrow head to mean the direction of the conventional current flow, when the junction is forward biased. The symbol i.e. zener, J-FET or BJT, plain diode and surrounding components then indicates whether it's intended to be reverse or forward biased.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf