Author Topic: Arduio ATTINY85 Micro USB Development Board  (Read 4868 times)

Offline 0x007Topic starter

• Contributor
Arduio ATTINY85 Micro USB Development Board
« on: October 02, 2015, 11:02:37 am »
Hello everyone ,
I received not so long ago this module : http://www.ebay.com/itm/321741706703?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
I found the correct drivers which are : http://digistump.com/products/1
but I can not make the thing work with the arduino software , I never used arduino before and this board is different even from the other arduino boards.
I tried to follow the instructions on digistump and other places offering them , but it doesn't work for some reason and I dont even know how to tackle this problem.
I have experience working with rs232 programmable boards specifically using "Flash Magic" , this one is directly USB programmable and I dont know how to set up arduino to program it.
can someone explain how to program a board of this type, or is there other programmer software I can use instead of arduino ?

Offline Cliff Matthews

• Supporter
    • General Repair and Support
Re: Arduio ATTINY85 Micro USB Development Board
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 03:42:08 pm »

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 04:18:48 pm »
I've seen this already ,my board do not requires an ISP it is direct USB to chip (and I dont have one).

Offline codeboy2k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 05:51:08 pm »
Did that chinese clone of the Digispark come with the bootloader code pre-installed?

The Digispark runs a bootloader called micronucleos, which allows it to be programmed with Arduino code via the USB port.  Without the bootloader pre-installed it's braindead.

If your clone did not come with the bootloader pre-installed, you will need to program it into the chip using an AVR  programmer.

In the link below, the author of micronucleos has detailed information to install the micronucleos bootloader into a blank ATTINY85.
https://digistump.com/board/index.php/topic,74.msg2058.html#msg2058

Once you have the bootloader, or if you know you already have it installed, then you can just connect to it using the Arduino IDE. This wiki entry shows you how to configure the IDE to recognize the Digispark.

https://digistump.com/wiki/digispark/tutorials/connecting

Online edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2015, 05:58:56 pm »
You may have also run into the "Digispark clone with bad diode" problem... see the links here:

http://digistump.com/board/index.php?topic=1729.0

P.S. How about changing the subject line to mention Digispark and/or fix your typo?

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2015, 09:24:05 pm »
My computer recognises it , it shows up as digispark bootloader in the device manager.
the problem is : I cant understand if the IDE even running correctly.
I chose the "use Arduino as an ISP" as the programmer (the only programmer that won't error about missing device or port) it shows :"Uploading..."
for several minutes and then "avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x03".
the Digispark instructions says that "Programmer selection does not matter" so what is wrong ?
also I hooked up an led to pin 4 of the chip,it blinks when I plug it in to a computer (connected to USB),but nothing happens when I try to program it using the IDE.

Offline Hideki

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2015, 11:15:42 pm »
I chose the "use Arduino as an ISP" as the programmer (the only programmer that won't error about missing device or port) it shows :"Uploading..."

The instructions say that the programmer doesn't matter, but you MUST install the boards manager package so that it appears in the Tools menu. I don't think you have mentioned if this works or not.

They also say:
You do not need to plug in your Digispark before invoking upload

Hit the upload button. The bottom status box will now ask you to plug in your Digispark - at this point you need to plug it in - or unplug and replug it.

You'll see the upload progress and then it will immediately run your code on the Digispark.

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2015, 04:34:13 am »
Thats it, I tried doing that before but in never worked , apparently there's a million ways to get something wrong.
Thanks for the help, but I doubt this will be my last post about this thing.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf