Author Topic: How to drop 36V down to 5-16V range?  (Read 917 times)

Offline agehallTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
How to drop 36V down to 5-16V range?
« on: May 16, 2021, 06:39:47 pm »
I'm trying to replace a fan controller board with something a bit more custom based off an ESP32 module. The board has 36V input from the rest of the system and I'm trying to figure out the best way to get this down to the 5-16V range that my devel board can handle and I'm stuck.

To get something quick and dirty up and running, I attempted a 1k+500R resistive divider and tapped the middle (approx 12V) to my board. But that does not work - it drops the voltage over the 500R to 5V and the board doesn't power on. I'm not sure I understand why this wouldn't work. I also tried tossing in an LM7805 between the 12V point and my devel board but that didn't solve anything.

I've reverse-engineered the old board and the power supply for the 5V rail looks like this:
1219797-0

On the board, D1-D3 looks like this:
1219799-1

I assume that D1 is a reverse polarity protection diode (the text on it says "GM" and "45") and that D2 & D3 are zener diodes to drop the incoming 36V to something that the LS78L05 can handle safely. Does that sound like a correct assumption? D5 is an ST part marked "ER" and "Z406" but I've been unable to find datasheet for it.

Can anyone give me some pointers on what I should do here? Do I need to replicate the D1-D3 to lower the voltage before my voltage regulator or should I look at some other solution?

Offline PeteH

• Supporter
Re: How to drop 36V down to 5-16V range?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2021, 07:09:59 pm »
Watch out.... Most people use the ESP 32/8266 modules and assume the "external" VIN is the full range of the LDO present (up to 16v) but in fact the range is limited to 5V due to the CP2102 or CH340.... Can't tell you how many people have destroyed the board by applying more than 5.5V/6V and wonder why the board no longer works.

The ESP32 uses a lot of current at 3.3V depending on what you're doing with it...
Get one of those higher voltage 3 pin "LDO replacement" step down converters. It needs to be fairly efficient to drop from 36V to 5V... And LDO would burn too much power.

Offline ledtester

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2021, 07:58:20 pm »
To get something quick and dirty up and running, I attempted a 1k+500R resistive divider and tapped the middle (approx 12V) to my board. But that does not work - it drops the voltage over the 500R to 5V and the board doesn't power on. I'm not sure I understand why this wouldn't work. I also tried tossing in an LM7805 between the 12V point and my devel board but that didn't solve anything.

A resistive divider has too much output impedance:

https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/106718/when-would-i-use-a-voltage-regulator-vs-voltage-divider

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2021, 08:42:41 pm »
Watch out.... Most people use the ESP 32/8266 modules and assume the "external" VIN is the full range of the LDO present (up to 16v) but in fact the range is limited to 5V due to the CP2102 or CH340.... Can't tell you how many people have destroyed the board by applying more than 5.5V/6V and wonder why the board no longer works.

The ESP32 uses a lot of current at 3.3V depending on what you're doing with it...
Get one of those higher voltage 3 pin "LDO replacement" step down converters. It needs to be fairly efficient to drop from 36V to 5V... And LDO would burn too much power.

In this case, it is an ESP32MX-E board which has a VIN that is specified for 5-16V, so I should be good there. But I appreciate the concern - I can see how this would be overlooked by many.

A resistive divider has too much output impedance:

https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/106718/when-would-i-use-a-voltage-regulator-vs-voltage-divider
That makes sense. I knew there was something silly I was missing.

Since posting my question, I've been looking thru my drawers and I finally found a DC/DC step-down module that accepts up to 40V input and can give me 16V output. With that module, my little monstrosity now works. I guess what I'll have to do on the PCB I'm designing, is to include a DC/DC converter that can deal with 36V (and some margin) and give me the output I need.

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor

The following users thanked this post: agehall

Offline Doctorandus_P

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2021, 11:46:10 pm »
You use one of those postage stamp sized/priced SMPS modules, but a quick and dirty solution is to just add a series resistor of a few hundred ohms in front of your fan. (Or two if dissipation is too high).

For an estimate, run your fan from 12V, and measure it's current consumption.

Offline varunkoganti

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2021, 03:06:32 am »
Please correct me if I am wrong.

Objective of the project - Convert 36V DC to  5V-16V DC.

The solution seems simple.
You can use a step down converter.

LM 2576 (Texas Instruments - https://www.ti.com/product/LM2576)
LM 2576 (OnSemi - https://www.onsemi.com/pdf/datasheet/lm2576-d.pdf)
The additional components you will be needing is schottky diode, inductor, capacitor & 2x resistors.

The datasheets clearly mention how a typical application would loom like.

Note - use the datasheet of the manufacturer for the respective device. ie Do not use an TI device with On Semi datasheet.

The following users thanked this post: agehall

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2021, 04:59:06 pm »
You use one of those postage stamp sized/priced SMPS modules, but a quick and dirty solution is to just add a series resistor of a few hundred ohms in front of your fan. (Or two if dissipation is too high).

For an estimate, run your fan from 12V, and measure it's current consumption.

No, that won’t work. The fan in question is a custom EBM Papst RG128/1300 that requires PWM. Just dropping the voltage isn’t really an option.

The real circuit I’m designing includes a proper DC/DC switching regulator to drive the ESP32 board. I just wanted a quick and dirty prototype with stuff I have at hand to test things. Now that I managed to get a working prototype I think my real design will work just fine.

I have to say though, this forum is wonderful - lot’s of good explanations and pointers in 24h! Thank you all! While I’ve been doing this as a hobby for years, I still learn tons from here every day.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf