Author Topic: Dreambox 500HD rebboting whenever I change channel which involves switching LNB  (Read 830 times)

Offline martin271260Topic starter

I have a Dreambox 500HD, and whenever I change channels which involves a satellite switch (I have dysec and 3 LNBs) the box switches off and reboots. Has anybody come across this problem? All other things are fine - switch LNBs configuration etc.

Offline cvanc

• Frequent Contributor
Hi Martin and welcome.

I do not know anything about your specific equipment, but here are a couple of generic suggestions for troubleshooting pretty much anything:

1- Always verify your power supplies are working correctly
          From your description it seems possible that the switching between LNBs is related to your fault.  And this switching is the kind of thing that might need "just a little more power, for just a moment" from your power supply.  If your power supply was marginal, it might stumble during that moment.  You will need some simple test equipment for this - a multimeter is the minimum, and an oscilloscope is really handy.  But at least a multimeter.

2- If possible, open up the unit and perform a visual inspection
          It does not work 100% of the time, but often you can SEE a problem inside a failing unit.  And as step 1 suggests, you typically want to start by examining the power supply.  (Is your power supply an external unit - i.e., a "wall wart"?)  You want to look for things like this:

Evidence of burning/overheating/discoloring (get your nose in there as well, sniff around)
                    Examine electrolytic capacitors for signs of overheating/bulging/leaking
                    Look closely at all the soldering - try to find any bad solder joints

All three of these potential problems are common and represent a good start at understanding what's going wrong.  With a little luck you can find something simple and obvious to take care of.

Also, a really good idea is to 'get more eyes on the problem'... in other words POST PICTURES here on the forum of what you're looking at.  There are a lot of folks here who will be willing to look at them and offer suggestions.

Good luck with your repair.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 02:58:05 pm by cvanc »

The following users thanked this post: martin271260

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
test without the lnb's or switches.
if it stops resetting, test one lnb at a time, and then add one switch at a time.

it could be poor caps in the box/psu,
but it could also be a problem in one of the switches or lnb's

i used to be in this game, although the kit is generally very good, there are times water can get into a switch or lnb and do strange things.

Offline Bicurico

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
I had similar issues on a VU+ Duo. After replacing the Elkos it is working OK again.

Satellite receivers have typically a high internal temperature, which harms the Elkos.

If this does not fix the problem, get a new tuner.

Regards,
Vitor

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf