Electronics > Beginners

How to measure the mAh capacity of AA/AAA NiMH batteries using a multimeter?

<< < (4/4)

tyblu:

--- Quote from: Hero999 on January 02, 2011, 02:21:31 pm ---I've never really understood why many inexperienced people do this kind of thing nor why they ask if they can safely power a low power device from a power supply with a much higher power rating. When I learned about ammeters I found out they have a low resistance so deduced that connecting one across a battery would be a bad idea. When I learned about Ohm's law, voltage, power supplies and their maximum ratings I automatically knew I could safely power a walkman which uses only 100mA from a 1A power supply. I knew all of this before I received any formal education on electronics so it can't be because I've had an excellant education and I was never top of the class in electronics at college, though not far off.
--- End quote ---
It is very easy to make mistakes in a new field. We've all done stupid mistakes, even you, despite your proficiency with Ohm's Law. We will never stop making them, either, though hopefully not the same one twice! E.g.: last night I set my alarm for PM instead of AM for the umpteenth time.

Kiriakos-GR:
About battery tester , for any type of battery , I have not find yet better than that..

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=448.msg6650#msg6650

It test every battery with load !!

Zero999:

--- Quote from: tyblu on January 04, 2011, 02:32:21 am ---It is very easy to make mistakes in a new field. We've all done stupid mistakes, even you, despite your proficiency with Ohm's Law. We will never stop making them, either, though hopefully not the same one twice! E.g.: last night I set my alarm for PM instead of AM for the umpteenth time.
--- End quote ---
Yes I make stupid mistakes all the time i.e. I made the mistake of blowing a DVM's fuse by trying to measure voltage whilst it's set to current but that's not what I meant. I was saying I don't see why some inexperienced people think it's fine to measure a battery's capacity by short circuiting it with a DVM, re-read my previous posts. This is not an absent minded mistake but a failure to understand something basic, which no one needed to explain to me, even when I when I first started. When I blew the DVM's fuse I knew damn well I had done a stupid thing by trying to measure voltage when it was set to current.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version