Author Topic: How to Wire 2 Pots and 1 Switch to Alternate them (Steering Joysticks)  (Read 291 times)

Offline ProfanityTopic starter

I have an asphalt paver with 2 joysticks that are both controlled with Pots for both left and right tracks, I have to change out the pots because I'm losing neutral position and the machine will crawl unexpectedly when in the center position.
So I have to desolder the old pots and just ordered the new ones.
My question is.
 If I buy 4 pots is there a way to wire them in such a way to keep the original joysticks(with the replacement pots) and another set of pots with knobs that I can toggle between the two. Can it Be Done with one switch with the left and right tracks simultaneously? Or one switch per left and right tracks individually.
The reason for this is while traveling the machine doesn't have to be extremely precise, but while paving driving straight is key and precise movements are crucial to the asphalt to be laid correctly. 
I'm expecting that a knob being closer to the pot and more of a pinch movement would be more accurate than a lever (joystick).

I've attached a picture of the pot, and the pot in the machine wired to the circuit board.
The pot in the circuit board will have to remain, but the other mounted to the frame of the machine's control box and knob inserted on the exterior.
Keep in mind I'm not an electrical engineer, most I've done is fiddled with an Arduino.
I also have a 3d printer so links to any knobs that you know about that I can manipulate to fit would be appreciated.
If I left out any information let me know ill try to elaborate to the best of my abilities. Or can provide more photos.

They Told Me I Couldn't Use Profanity in My Username.....

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf