Author Topic: How would you hack a ProScan tablet, to enable the Keyboard ?  (Read 370 times)

Offline MathWizardTopic starter

• Super Contributor
I have this old ProScan PLT7100G, it came with a mini-USB keyboard. But from day 1, the KB never worked, and I read you had to buy some code or firmware update, to allow KB usage.

Here's some spec's

PROSCAN PLT7100GK_JV 7" Dual-Core Tablet Features:
- Computer Type: Tablet
- Screen Size (Measured Diagonally): 7"
- Processor: 1GHz Dual Core Processor
- Memory: 512MB DDR3
- HDD: 4GB
- Input/Output: 1 Mini USB 2.0 Port, 1 Headphone Jack
- Speakers: Yes
- Battery Type: Rechargeable Built-In
- Internet Connectivity: 802.11 b/g
- USB Ports: 1 Mini USB 2.0
- Operating System: Android 4.4 Kit Kat
- Color: Black
- Includes: Tablet, Case, Keyboard, Owner's Manual
- Dimensions: 6.75"L x 10.5"W x 3.5"H
- Weight: 1.9 lbs.
- Display Size - Tablet: 7"
- Memory - Tablet: 512 MB DDR3

PROSCAN PLT7100GK_JV 7" Dual-Core Tablet Specifications:
Processor & Chipset
Processor Speed: 1 GHz
Processor Core: Dual-core (2 Core)

Memory
Standard Memory: 512 MB
Memory Technology: DDR3 SDRAM

Storage
Flash Memory Capacity: 4 GB
Optical Drive Type: No

Display & Graphics
Screen Size: 7"
Aspect Ratio: 15: 9
Screen Resolution: 800 x 480
Multi-touch Screen: Yes

Network & Communication
Wireless LAN: Yes
Wireless LAN Standard: IEEE 802.11b/g

Interfaces/Ports
Total Number of Mini USB Ports: 1

Built-in Devices
Sensor Type: Accelerometer
Front Camera/Webcam: Yes
Front Camera Resolution/Webcam Resolution: 300 Kilopixel

Software
Operating System Platform: Android
Operating System: Android 4.4 KitKat

So IDK anything about Android or Kitkat. But what might they have done, to block the KB. ? I can try hooking up the KB to my PC, or a scope or logic analyzer, to see what it might be doing. Not that I know much of anything about USB protocol.

I assume the KB works, but it's just deactivated in software on the tablet. IDK how easy it is to install new programs on this thing. Maybe it has to be hacked just to do that for all I know.

I just uploaded my 1st LED blinker code to a STM32F103, using a BusPirate, and Ardunio IDE. But to get to that point, I was using WireShark, and looking at what USB is doing.

I'm on Windows 10, and that's built to allow all kinds of stuff to run, like diagnostics. I know this tablet might not be like that.

Any thoughts ? I'm just learning some C++, but if all I had to do to unlock the USB keyboard, was change some registry setting with some software, I'd try it.

Online coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
Re: How would you hack a ProScan tablet, to enable the Keyboard ?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2024, 02:22:10 pm »
for what you're writing, you seem to have an hardware problem  not android related one,   while connecting a mouse or kb   android should enable them  if all is ok

i have old 4.4 devices, car radio and small mini pc boards, simply connect them  before the device boots up  should do okay ??

unless broken usb ports not sure it use bluetooth connectivity       hacking it  is going way overboard

the keyboard was at one time an option for the tablet ...
« Last Edit: April 14, 2024, 02:25:14 pm by coromonadalix »

Offline MathWizardTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Re: How would you hack a ProScan tablet, to enable the Keyboard ?
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2024, 03:47:13 am »
No I'm pretty sure it was a paywall thing. But I don't care about the tablet, I just want to try "hacking" it for fun. I'd love to take it apart, but I'm afraid I'd never get it back together. And no way could I go probing or soldering inside one of these, not if they are as bad as cellphones anyways.

Ok I see Android is like Linux, and people have made programs, to hack/gain root permissions, for some similar products. IDK much about all that stuff, but I find it interesting. Like putting Linux on xbox.

If possible, I would like to upload some trimmed down OS to the tablet, and without all the bloatware on it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf