Author Topic: HP E3630A Vs Rigol DP 832  (Read 915 times)

Offline Gp!Topic starter

• Contributor
HP E3630A Vs Rigol DP 832
« on: May 04, 2018, 01:45:32 pm »
Hi,
fishing for some expert advice.
I am slowly adding pieces to my beginners lab and I've sort of stumbled on the PS.
A bit undecided on the two as the HP is old but at a better price (always enticing) and the Rigol speaks for itself.
I double if I'll ever need anything better so both would more than sufficient and basically would be a 'buy once and for all' situation, so I didn't want to get anything too shabby.
The HP has been recently calibrated and is going for about €350 against the Rigol for €511 (the dilemma is evident).
Thanks for any thoughts !

Offline Nitrousoxide

• Regular Contributor
Re: HP E3630A Vs Rigol DP 832
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 02:33:13 pm »
Talking from personal experience here. I own the Rigol DP832, upgraded with software license keys.
For general purpose lab work, i.e. dual supply analog circuitry, I have never found the need to use any of its advanced features.

It comes down to what you do daily, or what you might need the power supply for (what kind of work). For example, LXI may be essential for automation.
Besides that, specifications and user interface. One major thing I noticed, the dual supply rails can only source 500mA (For example, I ran a fan off the positive rail an this would not be enough current).

The price of the HP unit seems more enticing. (Keep in mind the Rigol unit is new)

The following users thanked this post: Gp!

Offline Gp!Topic starter

• Contributor
Re: HP E3630A Vs Rigol DP 832
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 07:17:48 pm »
Double thanks !
This is what I was exactly looking for.
The whole dilemma is just that the price of the calibrated HP or the new tech which will probably give me more flexibility in the future...mmmhhhh food for thought.
Thanks again

The following users thanked this post: Nitrousoxide

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf