Author Topic: i am just a boy !  (Read 4416 times)

Offline pipediaz94Topic starter

i am just a boy !
« on: April 04, 2010, 01:50:46 am »
hi my name is luis i am from colombia
i am 15 years old  and i love the technology and the world of "machines"
i like the computers but i hate be a programmer

i would like to know how is the engineer electronics Carree is? like , difficulty , chances to get a good job, what jobs can i found ? , and well more little details.

ok ptt: sorry for my english :P i am learning

Offline MTron

• Regular Contributor
  • General hobbyist - modding, electronics, audio
Re: i am just a boy !
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 04:35:34 am »
Hey luis

I am not an electrical/electronics engineer but i think the advice I'm about to give is pretty universal.

All careers are difficult...if you want something easy find a dead end job, like at McDonald's or something...but a real career takes a lot of work and effort. Now that's not to say that its not worth it...if its something you love, i think you will find the effort you put in to be very rewarding, and at times it may not seem like work at all!

As for chances to get a good job, again I'm no engineer, but in my experience success in any field is not a matter of luck, or good timing, its a matter of hard work, dedication and passion...if you love what you do, and really put the effort in, you will be successful!

also...i may be new here as well...but welcome to the forum!
Your friendly neighborhood.....Dental Student
 - Latest Project - SIPP EL84 Tube Amp
 - Computer building/modding, IT, and DIY electronics!

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 08:01:24 am »
Well I don't know what work is like in Columbia and what jobs are available, I am slowly learning to program pics but I don't love programming either I do it because pics are ultmately flexible and save me parts and money.

Here is the UK I think there are not really many jobs for electronics engineers as it has all gone to china. if there is work available then it should be as good a carrer as any other engineering career so go for it. hard work is needed as in any position that has deadlines and where you are essentially on your own in solving your own problems.

If it is what you want go for it

Offline Kiriakos-GR

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 07:40:02 pm »
I will agree  with Simon , the same story also here in Greece ,  there is no major R&D in Europe ,
and about common repairs , the little shops , close down .
Very few devices worth to be repaired.

The satellite dishes , its the only business still going , still  if you become above 40 , its hard to jump on the roofs  and do the installation.

If I was aware the future , when I was in my start ... I would start work in a bakery  ;D ,
stable job  no matter what ..

Honestly , electronics its a matter of love and talent ,  I do not care to be a poor electronics engineer .
At list, I am happy and proud of my self.  

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 09:32:03 pm »
I'm happy to have a day job and play electronics at home where I'm my own boss, imagine having to design something badly becuae your boss wants it stupidly cheap, if I design anything I want to be my own boss, so if I am going to design for the market I will do it as a self employed person, if I ever take it that far

Offline hans

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 03:12:23 pm »
@Simon: it's an art to design the best circuits, but also to design the cheapest circuits that does the job good too.. Look at Chinese, they mastered the last bit very well :P

Anyway, Electronics engineering is turning more digital at the moment. There is always a need for people that know how to do analog stuff because before you can do something digitally, it's need to be converted. But at college  we also get a lot of  stuff that requires programming, whilst I am not even studying like Computer Sciences. I don't know how things are in Colombia and what the industry/schooling is like, here in Netherlands it's quite good I believe, so if you want to know that stuff I suppose you should look (ask at schools/colleges) around in your region .

How hard Electronics is, depends. If you're interested in Technology, how stuff works, physics, then I suppose you shouldn't have trouble putting the required time into it. If you don't want to put the time in it, it'll likely fail. But that's with everything, so don't expect Economics or something to be an easy escape, you still have to put work because it's about the education you've proved you mastered.

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 03:41:21 pm »
do whatever u want to do. choose whatever u like. and it will go like a flow of a stream, you'll do it without knowing it. as most ppl said, there is no easy way, in whatever choice u make. all need sacrifice and hardwork. except, if u like the job u've choosen, its not going to be a hardwork at all, its like your play thing, but for others looking at you, it will be hell for them to do the thing that u like to do.

i would say "no excuses, just efforts". for carrier side of view, for me its simple. "do you want money? do you want to get feed? get a job! and i mean any job, u like it or not" its just that, if you can find a job of your interest, you'll find that its easy to accomplish and commited on that. but still, u'll find some aspects that you will not like in your carrier no matter what it is, even if you are the boss or even if you are the employee.

in my country, most engineering will require you to master (pass) the subjects math and additional mathematics, physics and chemistry. i was mechanical engineering, so programming is not really a critical subject, we barely program things.Elec engineering relies on programming more than mech eng. but both need a strong foundation in algebraic, calculus and numerical (applied) math and elementary physics.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 03:53:01 pm by shafri »
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf