Author Topic: I got my first multimeter!  (Read 3855 times)

Offline AuggieTopic starter

• Contributor
I got my first multimeter!
« on: February 28, 2010, 03:36:13 am »
So I was looking to buy a multimeter and the whole time I just kept hearing Dave's voice scream "FLUKE 87!!!" So i got me a Fluke 87! Thanks Dave. Cant wait for it to get here so I can start measuring!

GeekGirl

Re: I got my first multimeter!
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 04:43:30 am »
So I was looking to buy a multimeter and the whole time I just kept hearing Dave's voice scream "FLUKE 87!!!" So i got me a Fluke 87! Thanks Dave. Cant wait for it to get here so I can start measuring!

You will not be disappointed :) I think it is the best meter (both value for money and USABLE features) that fluke have made.

Regards,

Kat.

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 07:55:44 am »
I want to buy one tomorrow. I don't mean order it and wait for it, I mean go somewhere that has it on display. I wanna touch it, feel it and then buy it.

I am at Windsor NSW, but will travel.

Any recommendations? Who sells this meter?
iratus parum formica

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 09:50:18 am »
Tricky Dick Smith used to carry it, but I doubt they have it any more.
Don't know anyone close to Windsor who would really have it in the window for a scratch'n'sniff.
Unfortunately if you buy it from a shop front you are very likely to overpay.
Sadly, it's a very expensive meter in Australia :(

There is a used one on ebay from an Oz seller if that suits:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Fluke-87-Multimeter_W0QQitemZ320509347637QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_B_I_Electrical_Test_Equipment?hash=item4a9fd88735

Dave.

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 11:52:01 am »
Tricky Dick Smith used to carry it, but I doubt they have it any more.
Don't know anyone close to Windsor who would really have it in the window for a scratch'n'sniff.

Yeah, we nuttin' out here but banjos and moonshine.  ;D
Unfortunately if you buy it from a shop front you are very likely to overpay.
Sadly, it's a very expensive meter in Australia :(
Yeh you said it.
There is a used one on ebay from an Oz seller if that suits:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Fluke-87-Multimeter_W0QQitemZ320509347637QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_B_I_Electrical_Test_Equipment?hash=item4a9fd88735

Dave.
I was looking at that too. I cant decide a brand new 179 would be better. I'll get the 87 some day, but for now I just need a digital meter with low sens on the DC.

I am using the full featured handheld jaycar (not so) cheapy $140 meter with the 200A clamp that they were selling a few years ago. It's great for working on household power and cars etc. Today I was working on a little comparator circuit on a breadboard and I couldn't figure out why my trim-pots were 'moving'.  :-\

Then the penny finally dropped that the damn meter was pulling down on the voltage when I had it connected to an input.  >:( So I went to the 2007 jaycar catalog and looked at the specs cos the manual is long gone: No impedance rating even given!! 

Edit: I remembered where I left the book for the old meter. Input impedance is supposed to be 10 meg. Well is isn't 10 meg today. Something's amiss. 

+1 the OP. Hurry up Fluke and get here.  :'(
iratus parum formica

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf